Chapter 14: Training Camp

The next day I trudged into the school and toward my classroom. I discovered I had failed the practical exam after waking up in Recovery Girl's office yesterday. Saying I was disappointed was a huge understatement. This was the first time I had ever failed a test. What made it worse was that it wasn't just me but Kirishima, too. And now I would be missing out on training camp. I wasn't exactly looking forward to the camp itself but more the chance to train in the middle of the woods. It would have been an amazing opportunity for me, surrounded by nature, to test the limits of my quirk.

The first thing I saw upon entering the classroom was a pouting Mina and Kaminari. It appeared they had also failed and Midoriya was trying, unsuccessfully, to cheer them up.

"Just hold on, now. There could still be some twist to this..."

"Don't say that, Midoryia. You're gonna jinx it..."

"Failing our exams means summer school hell instead of training in the woods! And we failed the practical!"

"I'm in the same boat," Sero chimed in. "I got put to sleep and only cleared thanks to Mineta. So until we know how they're actually grading this thing..."

"That's the bell. Be seated," Mr. Aizawa said, coming into the classroom.

I quickly sat in my seat, head down.

"Morning. About your final exams...sadly we had some failures. As such, you're all going to summer training camp."

My head shot up as a collective cheer went up throughout the room. Tears were streaming down Mina's cheeks while Kirishima pumped his fists in victory.

"Everyone cleared the written tests. But in the practical...Kirishima, Kaminari, Ashido, Satori, and Sero all failed."

"Wait, we're really allowed to go?" Kirishima asked.

"We are talking about training camp after all. More than anyone else, those who failed are in dire need of this."

Before the excitement got too out of hand, Mr. Aizawa added, "but failure is still failure. You five will receive special supplemental lessons. And to be honest, they'll be far worse than summer school." That announcement shut everyone up quickly. He proceeded to pass out camping manuals to all of us before leaving us to our own devices for the rest of the period.

Looking through the manual, it contained a basic schedule for the time we'd be gone, but mostly consisted of a large packing list. I heard some of my classmates commenting on things they'd need to buy. I might have to get someone to pick up a couple of things for me but most of the items on the list I already had in one form or another.

I heard Toru suddenly shout, "We're off tomorrow and tests are over so how about we all go shopping together, class A?"

Everyone started getting excited over the prospect of doing a group activity like that. I kept my face passive, hoping no one could read my emotions. Even if I wanted to go out in a big group like that, which, honestly the mere idea gave me anxiety, I would never be allowed to go....and that made me sad. How many normal experiences had I missed out on simply because my parents forbade me from doing them? I didn't really know if I would hate going to the mall and shopping because I'd never done it. This training camp would probably be the closest thing I'd ever experience to a sleepover.

"You gonna come, Todoroki?" I heard Midoriya ask, coming up to stand in between our desks.

"No. I visit someone on my days off."

"What about you Satori?"

"I won't be allowed to go but thanks for asking, Midoriya."

"What do you mean?"