Chapter 12: They Don't Know Me

The next day classes went on as usual. I actually found myself able to focus on my studies, taking better notes than I had in awhile. Even though I wasn't having the easiest time at home, I didn't want my grades to reflect that. I was determined to be at the top of my class.

When the lunch bell rang I hesitated. Was it really okay for me to eat lunch with them again? I saw Todoroki standing near the door, Midoriya next to him.

"Satori, are you joining us again today? Maybe you can tell me a little more about your quirk while we eat!"

I glanced at Todoroki who gifted me with a small smile and motioned for me to follow them.

"Sure," I said as I followed them out of the room and towards the cafeteria. When we reached the lunch line, Todoroki leaned a bit closer to speak to me quietly...probably so Midoriya wouldn't overhear.

"Did everything go okay at home yesterday?"

"It was fine. No one noticed anything different."

"Same as yesterday or are you in the mood for anything special?"

"I probably shouldn't overdo it, so maybe some stir fried noodles with chicken. Lean protein has always been my go-to."

"Because it's your favorite or because that's what you were allowed to eat?"

"Please. Pork's my favorite. Whoever says boneless skinless chicken is their favorite must be the most boring person ever. But it keeps me skinny so..."

"Interesting. I know Midoriya likes fried pork cutlets. What kind do you like?"

"Mmm, my absolute favorite is the pork belly you get in an amazing bowl of tonkotsu ramen. It's so fatty though, like the worst thing ever for me to eat...and I need to say less," I mumbled out as I watched Todoroki order a bowl of ramen with extra pork belly along with an order of soba. "Why did you do that?"

"You've been conditioned into believing you shouldn't have the things you want. I know what that's like. I'm just helping you break the cycle like someone helped me."

He led me over to the lunch table and placed the bowl of ramen in the same spot as yesterday. As I began eating I could feel Midoryia fidgeting in the seat next to me. I looked over to see him watching me nervously. "It's okay, go ahead and ask."

He gave me the biggest grin before going into fanboy mode. "What's the name of your quirk and how exactly do you use it? How long have you been working to have such good control over it?"

I chuckled, "One at a time, okay? My quirk is plant manipulation and it's exactly what it sounds like. I can manipulate any plant life as long as it's within a certain range. Ever since I was little I could bend the branches of trees or make the flowers in the garden move or bloom faster. I just think about what I want the plant to do and it happens. As I got older, I tried to grow my own plants from just the seed. Then I learned I could grow certain parts of the plants instead of the entire thing, like how I can make an apple from a seed and not the whole apple tree. It took me several years to master that skill and I can't use it on just anything. I have to practice creating the whole plant over and over for a month or two before I understand the plant well enough to grow only the parts I want."

"That sounds really intense. You must have been practicing for a really long time to be as good as you are."

"When I was little I just liked to grow things in the garden. It's only in the last five years or so that I've been training it for hero work."

"I didn't know you'd been training for that long, Satori. I never even knew you were trying for the hero course until you showed up at the entrance exam."