Chapter 11: Lunchmates

I was finally back at UA after my internship with Shinji. I had certainly learned a lot during my experience...about my cousin, my family, but most importantly, myself and how I really could do this hero thing, even if I was harboring doubts.

The first thing I noticed when I walked into the classroom was loud laughter coming from Kirishima and Sero. I almost laughed myself when I saw they were reacting to Bakugo's new hairstyle. I couldn't help but walk up to him myself, eye his hair, and comment, "Well I don't hate it. So I guess it's fine."

"Screw you, Apples," he said as I walked to my seat in the back of the classroom. I heard an explosion as I sat down and turned to see his hair back to its normal spikes.

Some of the other students were busy discussing what they did during their internships.

"Wow! So you got to take out some villains? I'm jealous."

"It was just evacuation procedures and logistical support. No real fighting."

"Just training and patrol for me. Though one time we did catch some foreign smugglers. How'd the past week go for you, Ochako?"

"It was very....instructive," she responded, an intense look on her face.

"I somehow ended up in a commercial."

"I was pretty spoiled. It was tons of fun. But if you wanna talk about the most transformative, most traumatic experience... that'd be the one you three had," Kaminari said pointing toward Iida, Midoryia, and Todoroki.

"Yeah, yeah, the hero killer!"

"I'm just glad you're all still alive."

"But Endeavor came and saved you right? That's our number two for you!"

I watched my classmates bombard the three with questions. But Iida, Midoriya, and Todoroki all remained silent, communicating something with a glance.

"Right, we were saved," Todoroki said in his usual monotonous voice.

There was obviously a lot more to the story than we were ever going to know. Details about villain takedowns were very rarely released to the public and even those were usually because they took place in the public eye or were caught on camera. There was absolutely nothing in the news about how Kamui Woods had taken down a gang of thieves and recovered millions in cash and merchandise. But All Might told us during our first hero basic training class that most villains were caught behind closed doors. All we were likely to get about the hero killer incident was the official police press release and some grainy cell phone footage of the end of the battle.

My classmates began discussing the hero killer but I tuned them out. I didn't care about the ideologies of someone messed up enough to go around killing people, even though I had also been questioning what a hero's purpose was.

We settled in for homeroom where Aizawa welcomed us back before going over our schedule for the next week. As I took notes, my stomach growled and I realized it was going to be a few hours before I could make myself an apple or two for lunch.

I had been spoiled during this past week with Shinji constantly feeding me. The weekend brought me back to the reality of my mother's diet plan and I was starving. I found it hard to pay attention during class as I focused my energy on getting my stomach to stop grumbling. I'm pretty sure Todoroki and Ochako on either side of me could hear it, Koda in front of me too.

As soon as classes were dismissed, I booked it out of the room and to my garden bench where I made myself an apple. After devouring it, I made myself another. I looked out gloomily into the little flower garden, not taking as much enjoyment from it as usual. This had been my refuge, where I could escape reality for just a bit. Now it was becoming a place of pain, a place where reality invaded as I ate my pathetic excuse of a lunch. I got up to wander along the paths when I noticed quite a few of the flowers were drooping. It was starting to get warmer so maybe they hadn't been watered properly. I gave each plant a jolt of life to bring them back upright. Couldn't have my lunchmates dying on me, could I? With nothing left to do I wandered back to the classroom and pulled out my Switch to pass the time.