~Chapter Forty~

Maddy sat on her bed with her legs folded over one another

Maddy sat on her bed with her legs folded over one another. In front of her were a laptop and a notebook. She was searching for a place to move to when Damon was officially gone. She actually preferred to move before he died, sitting there knowing that she was gonna lose someone she loved was making her feel like she was going insane.

She tried getting Stefan to let her help him find a cure for the bite but the young Salvatore just insisted that she be there for Damon. After he tried burning himself in daylight, Stefan decided it was best to keep his dying brother locked in the cellar. It hurt Maddy to see him that way, which was why she hadn't been down there to talk to him since earlier that morning. He had been calling out to her all day, but she just didn't have it in her to see him.

"You're just gonna let me die in here without saying goodbye?" Damon's voice is heard from in the cellar.

"Stop it. Stefan is out finding a cure. You're not gonna die." She sighs, running a hand through her hair.

"Don't tell me that you really think hero hair is gonna be able to find a cure that no one else could find?" He chuckles. "I'm gonna die, Mads."

Growing irritated with the man she used to love, she speeds down to the cellar, quickly unlocking it and grabbing him by the collar of his shirt, pulling him to his feet.

"If you really don't think there's any hope then I can kill you right now and end the suffering for both of us." She growls.

"Go ahead." Damon shrugs carelessly.

Rolling her eyes, she connects her first with his jaw sending him flying across the room and landing on the floor. She rushes over to him flipping him on his back and straddling him before sending another punch to his face making his nose bleed.

"Stop being a little bitch!" She shouts, hitting him again. "You broke my heart twice already, you don't get to do it a third time. So if you won't fight for yourself then do it for me. You owe me that."

Damon stares up at her with a small smile on his before wiping the blood off his mouth and nose. "I love you." He sighs.

"Then prove it." She says, getting off of him. "There's always hope Damon. Always."

~~~~~~~~~~

The strawberry blonde sat at the bar inside the Grill, throwing back shots as if her life depended on it. It was pointless though if she was being honest. It wasn't like she could get drunk. She couldn't handle sitting in the house with Damon dying just a few feet from her. She had called Bonnie to see if she and Stefan had come up with anything but the witch sadly couldn't deliver any good news yet.