~Chapter Seventy One~

Numb

Numb... That's how Maddy felt as she sat in front Klaus. He had just compelled her to remember everything and she didn't know how to react. She was upset for many reasons, that was for sure. Upset at herself for being weak. Pain and betrayal were things that people deal with throughout their lives. Why had she been so weak that she couldn't have dealt with it like everyone else?

"How are you feeling, Love?" Klaus questions cautiously, gently placing his hand on her shoulder.

"I don't know." She shrugs. "Why'd you make me remember?"

"It was the only way."

"The only way to what? Remind me that the people I love don't love me back?" She narrows her eyes at the hybrid.

"You still love them?" Klaus scrunches his face up in disgust.

"Yes, I do. I don't want to but these people were there for me when I was at my lowest. They were there for me when I died." She explains.

She was frustrated. She really did want to hate them. Every bone in her body was telling her to hate their guts. She was stuck. She wanted to get even, but she didn't want them to die.

"They're also the people that tried killing us."

"You mean like you killed Jenna?" She raises a brow.

"Me killing Elena's aunt has nothing to do with them trying to kill you. How can you say you love the people who tried to murder you but you can't say you love me?"

"I do, Klaus. I do love you. If I didn't we most definitely wouldn't be here right now." She sighs, looking up him. "I love you, ok?"

Klaus stares down at her, a smile forming on his face. Those words coming from her lips sent chills down his spine. It made his stomach do flips. It made him feel like fifteen year old boy with a high school crush.

"You love me?" He questions, his eyes showing nothing but vulnerability.

"Of course I do." Maddy gives him a small smile. "I'm sorry that I made you think otherwise." She says, reaching out and grabbing his hand in hers.

"You said it now, that's all that matters." He nods, bringing her hand to his mouth and planting a kiss on the back of it.

"So... About this mansion you're renovating. When were you going to tell me about it?" She raises her brows, pulling her hand away from him and taking a seat on her couch.

"When it was finished. It was gonna be a surprise." He answers.

"My house isn't good enough?" She tilts her head.