~Chapter Fifty Eight ~

Genevieve sat at the island in the middle of her mothers kitchen, blankly staring out the window

Genevieve sat at the island in the middle of her mothers kitchen, blankly staring out the window. Her chin rested in the palm of her hand as she let her mind wander. She couldn't decide how she felt about not being able to stay with her mom. She knew the two of them had to let go of each other. After over a hundred years, it was time. She was smart enough to know that if they both kept holding onto each other, neither of them would ever be able to be happy.

Bonnie and Caroline had left to a witch site so she could fix the hole in the other side. The blonde vampire had kept her head down and her mouth shut the rest of the time she was around Madison. She didn't know what to say or how to apologize, but she figured it wasn't the right time anyway. After all, she was about to lose her daughter for the second time.

"Vieve, someone's here to meet you." Maddy says softly, entering the kitchen with Elena trailing behind her.

Genevieve turns in her seat, her eyes landing on the human doppelgänger. "You're Elena." She smiles, recognizing the straight haired brunette. "You do look just like aunt Katherine."

"I get that a lot." Elena chuckles before nervously holding out a paper bag. "I brought you a cheeseburger and fries from the grill, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure if you can actually eat it." She states in realization.

Genevieve gladly accepts the bag, the smell of the greasy food filling her nostrils. "Thank you, it smells delicious." She says, opening the bag and setting the food on the counter in front of her.

Maddy watches as Elena takes a seat beside Genevieve, the young girl taking a bite of the burger. "Is it good?" Maddy questions.

"Mhmm, but your cooking will always be my favorite." She smiles.

"Your mom cooks?" Elena raises her eyebrows.

"Yeah, she's the best there is." Genevieve nods proudly, taking another bite of her food.

"You never told me you like to cook." Elena states, looking over at Maddy who was leaned against the wall.

"It never came up." She shrugs.

"I guess you'll have to cook for me some day." Elena smiles.

"If you're lucky."

Genevieve glances between Maddy and Elena with a knowing look on her face. "Wait a minute, I've seen lots of people look at my mom like that... You have a crush on her, don't you?" She questions while narrowing her eyes, making Elena's cheeks heat up.

"Genevieve! That's very impolite." Maddy scolds, biting back a laugh.

"I'm uh, very fond of Maddy." Elena nods shyly.