~Chapter Sixty Six~

Once Maddy returned home she was still pretty heated

Once Maddy returned home she was still pretty heated. The hurt of what happened tonight had finally set in. The fact that the people she once cared so much about tried to end her life almost made her heartbreak. Keyword, almost. She probably would have gone home and had a complete mental breakdown as soon as she stepped through the door.

But, when she entered what she expected to be her empty house and the scent of some kind of food filled her nostrils, curiosity consumed her. She made her way to the kitchen where Klaus sat waiting for her at the dining table. In the middle of the table was one single lit candle. Two plates of freshly cooked food sat on each side, one for her and one for him.

"What's all this?" She questions as she walked further into the kitchen towards where Klaus stood with a cheeky grin on his face.

"This is a celebration." He answers.

"For what? My used to be friends trying to kill you and take me out in the process?" She raises an eyebrow.

"No, for us." He chuckles, grabbing two wine glasses from the table and filling them with red-colored wine.

"What about us?" She asks, accepting the glass full of the red liquid.

"Being together. You have my back and I have yours. A king and queen, always and forever." He smiles, raising his glass.

"Always and forever." She nods, a small smile etching its way onto her face as the two clink their glasses together.

Klaus watches as she takes a big gulp, nearly drinking the entire thing. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" She furrows her eyebrows together as she takes a seat, Klaus joining her soon after.

"For making your friends hate you."

Apologizing was something Klaus never liked doing. He didn't even like doing it to his family, and if he did it was hardly ever sincere. But, seeing Maddy lose the people she loved and have them stab her in the back made him feel like it was kind of his fault. Maybe being with him would lead to her destruction.

"You didn't make them do that. And they don't hate me, I hate them." She shrugs. "Have you heard from Rebekah?"

"No, I'm sure she's in hiding somewhere after their plan to kill us didn't work." Klaus sighs, leaning back in his chair, eyes trained on Maddy.

"She didn't know that our lives were linked." Maddy defend. "As for her taking part in trying to kill you, I think it was a pretty reasonable reaction after she found out that you were the one who killed your guy's mother and lied to her about it."