chapter twenty one

DEMENTOR LESSON

☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎            "What? Oh—uh good luck i guess"☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎

☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎
            "What? Oh—uh good luck i guess"
☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎

AT EIGHT O'CLOCK on Thursday evening, Harry and Rose felt for the History of Magic classroom. It was dark and empty when he arrived, but he lit the lamps with his wand and had waiting only five minutes when Professor Lupin turned up, carrying a large packing case, which he heaved onto Professor Binn's desk.

"What's that?" said Rose.

"Another Boggart," said Lupin, stripping off his cloak. "I've been combing the castle ever since Tuesday, and very luckily, i found this one lurking inside Mr. Filch's filing cabinet. It's the nearest we'll get to a real Dementor. The Boggart will turn into a Dementor when he sees Harry, so we'll be able to practice on them. I can store them in my office when we're not using them, there's a cupboard under my desk they'll like. Now, since Rose's Boggart is not a Dementor, Harry will stand in front on the Boggart first. Then Rose will stand next to him, but not too far in front of him. Understand?"

"Okay," said Harry, trying to sound as though he wasn't apprehensive at all and merely glad that Lupin had found such a good substitute for a real Dementor.

Rose nodded understandably.

"So..." Professor Lupin had taken out his wand, and indicated that Rose and Harry should do the same. "The spell i am going to try and teach you in wiggly advanced magic, Harry, Rose—well beyond the Ordinary Wizarding Level. It is called the Patronus Charm."

"How does it work?" said Rose, leaning on the wall, crossing her arms.

"Well, when it works correctly, it conjures up a Patronus," said Lupin, "which is a kind of antiDementor—a guardian that acts as a shield between you and the Dementor."

Harry had a sudden vision of himself crouching behind a Hagrid-sized figure holding a large club. Professor Lupin continued, "The Patronus is a kind of positive force, a projection of the very things that the Dementor feeds upon—hope, happiness, love, the desire to survive—but it cannot feel despair, as real humans can, so the Dementors can't hurt it. But i must warn, Harry, Rose, that the charm might be too advanced for you both. Many qualified wizards have difficulty with it."

"What does a Patronus look like?" said Harry curiously.

"Each one is unique to the wizard who conjures it."

"And do you conjure it?" asked Rose curiously.

"With an incantation, which will work only if you are concentrating, with all your might, on a single, very happy memory."

Rose's mind immediately went straight to when she first met Aurora, but she feared it wouldn't work with all the despair radiating around her death.