thirty five

Going back.

————-                              "I'm not sorry

————-
                              "I'm not sorry."
————-

WHEN THEY reached the edge of the wood, their progress was impeded. A large crowd of frightened-looking witches and wizards was congregated there, and when they saw Mr. Weasley coming toward them, many of them surged forward.

"What's going on in there?"

"Who conjured it?"

"Arthur—it's not—Him?"

"Of course it's not Him," said Mr. Weasley impatiently. "We don't know who it was; it looks like they Disapparated. Now excuse me, please, i want to get to bed."

He led Harry, Rose, Ron, and Hermione through the crowd and back into the campsite. All was quiet now; there was no sign of the masked wizards, though several ruined tents were still smoking.

Charlie's head was poking out of the boy's tent.

"Dad, what's going on?" he called through the dark. "Fred, George, and Ginny got back okay, but the others—"

"I've got them here," said Mr. Weasley, bending down and entering the tent. Harry, Ron, Rose, and Hermione entered after him.

Bill was sitting at the small kitchen table, holding a bedsheet to his arm, which was bleeding profusely. Charlie had a large rip in his shirt, and Percy was sporting a bloody nose. Fred, George, and Ginny looked unhurt, though shaken.

"Did you get them, Dad?" said Bill sharply. "The person who conjured the Mark?"

"No," said Mr. Weasley. "We found Barty Crouch's elf holding Harry's wand, but none of the wiser about who actually conjured the Mark."

"Maybe it was her." said Percy, gesturing toward Rose with a snarl on his face. "Ever think of that?"

Rose's lips parted and she stammered, in shock. "What did i do?"

"You know what you are—" He spat.

"Enough." said Mr. Weasley. "It wasn't her, Percy...."

With some assistance from Harry, Ron, and Hermione, Mr. Weasley explained what had happened in the woods while Rose stared at Percy to make him uncomfortable. When they had finished, their story, Percy swelled indignantly.

"Well, Mr. Crouch is quite right to get rid of an elf like that!" he said. "Running away when he specifically told her not to... embarrassing him in front of the whole ministry... how would that have looked, if she'd been brought up in front of the Department for the Regulation and Control—"

"She didn't do anything—she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time!" Hermione snapped at Percy, having enough of his behavior. He looked very taken back. Hermione had always got on fairly well with Percy—better, indeed, than any of the others.