thirty three

Saving Sirius

———-

ROSE had never been part of a stranger group. Crookshanks led the way down the stairs; Lupin, Pettigrew and Ron went next, looking like entrants in a six-legged race. Next came Professor Snape, drifting creepily along, his toes hitting each stair as they descended, held up by his own wand, which was being pointed at him by Sirius. Harry, Hermione and Rose brought up the rear.

"So..." Rose started awkwardly. "You never answered my question."

Sirius sighed, he seemed nervous to finally be with his daughter. "Uh—i'm actually not sure why your red-headed."

"Is my mom ginger?" She asked curiously.

"Er—"

"Or dad, whatever your into—"

"Woah." He stopped. "I am not gay."

Harry and Hermione turned to eachother and pursed their lips.

Rose slowly nodded awkwardly. "Um.. okay.."

"I love women." He shrugged, continuing to walk.

"Me too."

"Glad we have that in common."

Rose pursed her lips, nodding.

The truth is, Sirius isn't ready whatsoever to speak about Rose's second parent. The time will come when they're ready.

Getting back into the tunnel was difficult. Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron had to turn sideways to manage it; Lupin still had Pettigrew covered with his wand. Rose could see them awkwardly edging along the tunnel in the single file. Crookshanks was still in the lead. Harry went right after Black, who was still making Snape drift along ahead of them; he kept bumping his lolling head on the low ceiling. Rose had the impression Black was making no effort to prevent this. She didn't blame him, she wouldn't either. Rose went right after Harry.

"You know what this means?" Black said abruptly to Harry and Rose as they made their slow progress along the tunnel. "Turning Pettigrew in?"

"You're free," said Harry.

"Yes..." said Black. "But i'm also—i don't know if anyone ever told you—i'm your Godfather, Harry."

"Yeah, i knew." said Harry.

"Well... your parent's appointed me your guardian," said Black stiffly. "If anything ever happened to them..."