thirty seven

The Triwizard Tournament

——————————————————"He's clearly in love with you

——————————————————
"He's clearly in love with you."
"Why wouldn't he be?"
—————————————————————-

THROUGH THE GATES, flanked with statues of winged boars, and up the sweeping drive the carriages trundled, swaying dangerously in what was fast becoming a gale. Leaning against the window, Rose could see Hogwarts coming nearer, it's many lighted windows blurred and shimmering behind the thick curtain of rain. Lightning flashed across the sky as their carriage came to a halt before the great oak front doors, which stood at the top of a flight of stone steps. People who had occupied the carriages in front were already hurrying up the stone steps into the castle. Harry, Rose, Ron, Hermione, and Neville jumped down from their carriage and dashed up the steps too, looking up only when they were safely inside the cavernous, torch-lit entrance hall, with its magnificent marble staircase.

Rose heard a soft crack! from overhead. She looked up with narrowed eyes, to see Peeves the Poltergeist, floating at least twenty feet above them. His wide, malicious face contorted with concentration as he aimed a giant red water balloon straight at them.

"Oh, lord." She sighed, before walking many feet behind them, getting out of the line of fire.

"Blimey," said Ron, shaking his head. "if that keeps up, the lake's going to overflow. I'm soak—ARRGH!"

The large red water-filled balloon had dropped from Peeves hands, and onto Ron's head. Drenched and sputtering, Ron staggered sideways into Harry, just as a second water bomb dropped—narrowly missing Hermione, it burst at Harry's feet. People all around them shrieked and starting pushing one another in their efforts to get out of the line of fire.

Rose shook her head slowly, very thankful she moved as far backward as she could.

"PEEVES!" yelled an angry voice. "Peeves, come down here at ONCE!"

Professor McGonagall, Deputy Headmistress and head of Gryffindor House, had come dashing out of the Great Hall, she skidded on the wet floor and grabbed Hermione around the neck to stop herself from falling.

"Ouch—sorry, Miss Granger—"

"That's all right, Professor!" Hermione gasped, massaging her throat.

"Peeves, get down here NOW!" barked Professor McGonagall, straightening her pointed hat and glaring upward through her square-rimmed spectacles.

"Not doing nothing!" cackled Peeves, lobbing a water bomb at several fifth-year girls, who screamed and dived into the Great Hall. "Already wet, aren't they? Little squirts! Wheeeeeeee!" And he aimed another bomb at a group of second years who had just arrived.