chapter twenty six

__ Sirius black? With a knife?__

              "You're eleven! Go eat a lollipop!"—

IT FELT AS though they had already won the Quidditch Cup; the party went on all day and well into the night. Fred and George Weasley disappeared for a couple of hours and returned with armfuls of bottles of butterbeer, pumpkin fizz, and several bags full of Honeydukes sweets.

"How did you do that?" squealed Angelina Johnson as George started throwing Peppermint Toads into the crowd.

"With a little help from Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs," Fred muttered in Harry's ear.

Only one person wasn't joining in the festivities. Hermione, incredibly, was sitting in a corner, attempting to read an enormous book entitled Home Life and Social Habits of British Muggles. Harry and Rose broke away from the table where Fred and George had started juggling butterbeer bottles and went over to her.

"Did you even come to the match?" he asked her.

"Of course i did," said Hermione in a strangely high-pitched voice, not looking up. "And i'm very glad we won, and i think you did really well, but i need to read this by Monday."

"Come on, Hermione, come and have some food," Harry said, looking over at Ron and wondering whether he was in a good enough mood to bury the hatchet.

"I can't, Harry. I've still got four hundred and twenty-two pages to read!" said Hermione, now sounding slightly hysterical. "Anyway..." She glanced over at Ron too. "He doesn't want me to join it."

There was no arguing with this, as Ron chose that moment to say loudly, "If Scabbers hadn't just been eaten, he could have had some of those Fudge Flies. He used to really like them—"

Hermione had burst into tears. Before Harry or Rose could do or say anything, she tucked the enormous book under her arm, and, still sobbing, ran toward the staircase to the girls' dormitories and out of sight.

"Ron, you need to learn to shut the fuck up. Go shove a stick up your ass." Rose glared at him before going after Hermione.

—-

"Hermione?" Rose knocked on to dormitory door, which was locked.

All Rose got in response was a sigh, sniffle, then the sound of the door unlocking. "Come in."

"Are you okay?" Rose asked, seeing Hermione sitting on her bed, a tissue box in front of her.

As soon as Rose sat down next to her, Hermione burst into tears again. "I—I don't know what he want's me to do! My Crookshanks wouldn't hurt another animal—!"