Chapter Thirty

In a corner of the kiln's workroom, I'm solely engaged with the task of installing magi formula to the lenses of the fully assembled binoculars. My right hand holding a pen-type magi tool specifically for writing magi formula and my left hand firmly holding the forty-first binocular is already numb. Before working on the forty-fifth binocular, I stretch my fingers and drink the last sip of the lukewarm rose syrup water. When I count how many more binoculars left to work on, my tired eyes divert to the wall shelf where a sleeping red panda is occupying with its tail hanging down.

Click!

Just watching Archie is already re-energising. Lately, my photo gallery is filled with nothing but Archie and Bane. Since I've been taking their pictures too much, Archie naturally learns how to pose adorably in front of the camera. I quietly chuckle thinking back that it might be because I sometimes teased Archie when the pictures come out blurry and funny.

Let's finish the remaining six binoculars before the end of the day. Less than two hours later, I stretch my back to the chair and my sore arms up in the air.

"Finally finished!"

Archie's ears perk up at my satisfied exclamation but our youngest is not waking up.

I started working on binoculars around half past eight this morning and in the middle of that, Archie broke my concentration for a lunch break. By then, I'm already halfway done. The apprentices mention that my working pace is quite fast for a task that requires painstaking concentration.

"Are you finished, Iris?"

Turning around to see Kif inspecting the countless binoculars and helmet binoculars that is yet to be set with magi formula lined up on the long table. Those are for the rangers. Kif's workshop is in charge of constructing the binoculars and the elves craftsmen will be inscribing the magi formula I provided in elvish. Binoculars for the rangers take more priority than the keepers, which is why I volunteer to install magi formula to the requested fifty pair of binoculars for the keepers myself especially since only me and Chief knows where to leave a suitable space within the magi formula for Luna to later insert the identification tag.

"All fifty binoculars are set and ready to be delivered to the sanctuary," I answer Kif while organising the magi tools on the table.

"Leave the binoculars be. We will pack them for transportation."

Kif stops me from doing anything more and speaks, "Go home. Bertha worries that you've been pushing yourself too much lately."

"Alright. I'll leave after seeing Bertha."

With that, I leave the kiln while holding a half-awake red panda in my arms and walk towards the workshop where Bertha usually is. The shade of gold and magenta is colouring the sky by the short time I show my face to Bertha in the workshop until she pushes me out of the door, ordering me to go home and sleep.

"My goodness! You should look at yourself in the mirror and understand why I'm being like this," says Bertha as she shakes her head disapprovingly.

On the path back to Maya's house, I touch the area around my eyes.

I ask the completely awake Archie.