Chapter Twenty Three, pt 3

But, I wonder why?

Why does it sound full of anguish? I rub my arms together to calm the lingering goosebumps while looking down at my frozen feet. I'm still thinking about the lion's roars that I don't realise Bane moves closer as if shielding me.

"How should we proceed, director?"

"Do not act. For now, observe the Lion Pride. Follow the protocol...."

Luna promptly responds with gravity to the elf reporting from Section Seven through the crystal orb. However, her voice soon trails off since I'm already losing focus on the current situation to the point the cries of the monsters is also fading to the back of my mind.

"-ris. Iris."

I snap out of my reverie when I hear my name being called. "Sorry, what were you saying?"

Luna stares at me for a few seconds before saying, "I'm sorry to do this but after careful consideration, I believe it would be best for you to leave. We'll conclude the lesson here and resume at a later time after the situation has settled down."

My mouth slightly open but no voice comes out.

"Roy will lead you out the same way you came."

When Roy is about to protest to the plan, another resounding roar reaches our ears. This time it sounds weaker than the first two. My intuition is telling me to go.

I whisper when my eyes meet Bane. "Please take me to the lions."

Honestly, I expect Bane to ignore my wish but to my surprise, he lowers his body for me to ride on him. I get on his back in a hurry before Luna realise what I'm doing then without delay, Bane sprints off.

"Sorry, Luna! I'll accept any punishment later!" I yell behind me.

I catch a glimpse of the elves' dumbfounded faces and faintly hear somebody loudly cursing. My guess is Roy. Ignore it. Ignore it. Concentrate what's in front of me right now. Riding on Bane is much faster since he could tell where to go with his exceptional senses rather than relying on 'Presence Detection' to locate the Lion Pride's enclosure amongst the numerous undisclosed monsters and magical beasts residing in the rehabilitation centre. Everything around me is a blur as Bane runs with unfaltering speed through the maze-like layout and when I detect magic up ahead, there is a stone archway; larger than the one by the entrance. Bane doesn't slow down his pace at all and breezily passes through. Soon after, we arrive at our destination much to the startled keepers in the vicinity. Meanwhile, the guards remain vigilant despite our sudden appearance.

I jump down from Bane and unhesitatingly walk closer towards the enclosure where a vast plain is surrounded by boulders and a small lake. The most eye-catching part is the occupants of the enclosure; the Lion Pride. Many fierce eyes are looking at me; formidable yet cautious. At any other time, I would be awestruck if it weren't for the nervous tension lingering in the atmosphere, although now I can cross one thing off from my bucket list.