Chapter Seven

Today is the fourth and last day of the festival.

I wake up late after talking all night with Auntie El. The case with the unique skill 'Soul Connection', I don't have to use it unless I need to since the effect is multiplying the strength of my mana and I already have a lot to begin with. We talked more about my primary concern. After a year in this world, it's clear that my common sense and this world's common sense does not match after all, thus Auntie El advice that I take my time to observe and make my assessment as a bystander while avoiding getting involved into their affairs since other people might not share the same sentiment as I do. The difference of talking with Auntie El and Lord Sol is that Auntie El has lived a very long life and has seen many things through her own eyes and so her words contain an amount of truth while Lord Sol responds based on the knowledge he's accumulated over his long elf lifespan.

I stop by the workshop where Po and Jilko are staying. Bertha warmly greets me when I walk in. They seem to be busier than yesterday. Dwarves are coming and going out the door while carefully handling the boxes that have been marked 'fragile'.

"We've been receiving orders non-stop since before the festival started. Thankfully we manage to finish them on time and now my husband and his apprentices are delivering them to the customers before the village's gate closes." Bertha tells me while busily checking things off her list.

"I'm sorry to bother you. I just wanted to check how Po is doing."

"He's looking much better after that tea you gave them." Bertha holds my hand tenderly. "My husband told me about yesterday. Thank you for helping them. Gnomes are often misunderstood because they can't communicate easily and that's why they are underestimated by foolish people. The certified acknowledgement let humans trade with us. It's how the Chief protect his kin from being exploited. I know he will protect gnomes like Po and Jilko from this ever to happen again."

"I'm sure he will."

I leave the workshop without meeting Po and Jilko and head back home while avoiding the busy streets. Tonight, I'll be cooking dinner to celebrate the end of my first elf festival with my ranger friends. Syl informs me that they'll return right after all the visitors are gone and the gate officially closes. When I return, there are bundles of sacks and wooden crates stack up by the front door. They must have delivered Maya's things while I was out. I inspect the items to make sure if there are things that need to be stored in the freezer right away. Mister Duce is kind enough to leave a note of the list of items he's gotten. Most are books of recent research publications and various seeds and dried leaves. Ah, he also put in the peaches Maya love so much. Those peaches don't grow in Kirashira Village or anywhere in Kana Forest. I found the peaches in one of the crates and bring it to the kitchen to store them in the fridge. One peach is the size of my palm and it's unbelievably sweet and refreshing. The books I put in Maya's study and the sacks of seeds and dried leaves at her workroom.

Next, I open the walk-in freezer that's been installed close to the workroom. It's where Maya leaves experimental potions to sit and store plants and mushrooms that grow in cold region. There's also a stockpile of fruits and vegetables from the garden and meats since the kitchen's fridge has no more room for them. After I grab a handful of frozen meat, I return to the kitchen and soak them in water. While the meat's defrosting, I clean and chop the vegetables and prepare the dough for bread. I was greatly impressed when I find out the kitchen is fully equipped with a fridge, fire stoves and an oven which are powered by mana stones. Once the oven is pre-heated, the dough goes in. The defrosted meat is cut into cubes than in a large pot, cook the meat in oil until it browns. Pour water into the pot, toss in rosemary, pepper and parsley and let it simmer. While that's cooking, I made homemade noodles enough for four people to eat with the leftover sauce later and check on the bread in the oven.