Chapter 38

I groggily open my eyes and check the time on the screen.

12:46 p.m.

A gasp escapes my mouth, almost dropping my phone onto my face. I overslept and missed breakfast. Then, I remember that I fell asleep on the floor with wet hair.

For a while, I lay unmoved. The floor is carpeted and my back doesn't feel that terrible. It's almost as comfortable as sleeping on the sofa. I turn to lie on my side to avoid the brightness of the sun coming from the window and spot a reddish-brown fluff curled up under the table.

So cosy and peaceful, I inwardly thought while watching the sleeping red panda. The moment's disrupted when my stomach growls. And so, I force myself to get up and sluggishly head to the bathroom.

At the urging of my empty stomach, I change into one of my new shirts and pants, and simply style my hair in a half-up bun and lock it in place with a hairpin. When I walk out of the bathroom, there's only Erissa sitting leisurely with a cup of tea. The others must've already left; Mint is probably with Syl on guard duty, and I remember Jilko telling me that she and the senior apprentices are helping out at a workshop that belongs to Kif's acquaintance.

"Did you have a good sleep, Iris?"

The dream I had flashed through my mind and I couldn't resist the corners of my mouth from raising slightly into a smile.

"Uhum."

I hum and nod in response.

Then, I walk back to the living area and grab the sleeping red panda from under the table into my arms. Archie stirs awake by my action.

"Archie, we're going down to eat. Do you want to go like this or do you want to be inside your bag?"

Archie let out an inaudible cry as he snuggles in my arms.

Guess that's his answer.

"I'm going down to the dining hall for a bit," I inform Erissa as I head for the door in hurried steps.

"Don't forget your robe."

Ah, my robe.

Erissa brings the purple robe and drapes it over my shoulder and adjusts the hood from completely covering my face.

"Thanks, Erissa."

At the inn's dining hall, I secretly sigh in relief that it's not crowded with customers. Even so, I choose a table in the corner where there are fewer people and have Archie sits on my lap. By the waitress's recommendation, I order beef stew and a small fruit platter for Archie. Bread and a lightly seasoned vegetable soup are served together with the beef stew. I drink the soup first to warm up my empty stomach.

"That hit the spot," I mumble to myself.

After a few more sips of the soup, I turn to the deliciously irresistible smell coming from the beef stew. From the first spoonful, the meat is so, so tender that I could devour the plate in seconds if it isn't for my self-control.