Thirty Four, pt 2

The remaining Armoured Ants are swiftly dealt with before they had the chance to flee to wherever their nest is located. When the insect extermination is finished, the rangers apart from Erissa and Mint who are washing off the slimy green liquid with life magic 'Clean', is divided into two smaller groups; the first group is collecting and investigating the monster corpses and the second group is surrounding the second barrier where the wolves and some Raging Bulls are contained. To be on the safe side, I activate mana signature and thoroughly search the entire area for signs of black mana and end up standing up close at the second barrier.

"Now this is odd," I mutter.

The team leader comes near me and asks about my muttering to which I respond with a question.

"Black mana changes even the most docile-natured monsters into feral creatures, or am I mistaken?"

"You are not mistaken."

"Then I'm not the only thinking that the wolves are being abnormally composed right now?"

Wolves are very territorial creatures and the pack get defensive when there are invaders; the strongest wolf of the pack will lunge at the neck of the person that invades their territory, unintentionally or not. Yet, the ones I'm seeing here are unmoving in their spot unless the Raging Bulls charges at the wolves first. Even stranger is that the wolves leave the Raging Bulls barely alive after having fought them.

"If you hadn't already realised it, the wolves are tainted," I tell the team leader. "But none of the Raging Bulls is showing traces of black mana."

"That is indeed odd," the team leader comments.

"Let's burn them," Mint cuts in.

Erissa hits Mint in the head.

"Why did you hit me?!"

"Mint, we cannot act rashly," the ranger team leader concludes.

"The timing of what has happened here collides with the monster stampede," Erissa speculates. "Two events happening at the same time cannot be coincidental."

"But, we also cannot leave them like these for too long either or what else could happen," I add then ponder for a bit.

The thought suddenly occurred to me. There are no way noises of monsters coming out of the forest and rumours of monster stampede floating about would go unnoticed by the most influential and powerful person who is supposedly visiting mining town for an inspection and yet, hasn't made a single noisy appearance at the inn.

"I know that look, Iris," says Mint, pointing at me. "It's your 'Aha!' look."

"The solution is simple," I pause for an effect. "We just have to call in a professional exterminator."