Chapter Eleven, pt 3

Mint, Syl and Erissa greet the town's lord the elvish way while Jilko and I simply bow our heads to him politely. After the exchange of greetings, Jilko leaves the guild with Mint and Erissa while Syl stays with me. Lord Dumont and guild master are sitting across from us. Mei serves us tea then leaves the room.

Why am I still here though?

Chief takes over my introduction. "Iris has a proposal to share that could prove useful for you, Dumont."

My head jerks at Chief who is sitting beside me and refute his words.

"I don't have a proposal. You brought me here by force. I was only making some suggestions."

Two men in a respectable position are waiting to hear something, but I'm not saying a word. Chief proceed telling them exactly what I say to him earlier, but in a more intelligible way.

"Naturally, if we were to implement that system, it would lessen the burden on the people."

"It will attract more visitors as well."

Chief, Lord Dumont and the guild master discusses in great details. Guild master is taking notes while Lord Dumont returns to his earlier demeanour and actively expresses his concerns and raise questions without holding back. From what I'm hearing, Chief has thought this through overnight. Once the dwarves complete their research on improving the effectiveness and durability of the fire-resistant fabric, Lord Dumont intents to circulate the canopies and tents through the Commercial Guild. While they are talking about the technicalities, my mind wanders off as I sip the warm tea. It's best to leave this matter to the professionals.

"Iris," Chief calls my name. "Mind sharing with us what you are thinking?"

"Uh, sure." I carefully lay out my thoughts. "Customising retractable canopies with each shop's designs are a great way for advertisement as well."

"Retractable canopies. Could this be applied to your earlier suggestion as well?" Lord Dumont asks.

"That's what I was thinking when someone cuts me off before I could say it."

I send a glare to Chief then continues, "You would have to attach motors or wheels on both sides of the roofs and poles in the centre to support them."

"How do you propose we do that?"

"I was thinking of an automatic system."

"Yes. That might be best. It would take time if we were to do so manually."

Lord Dumont surprisingly understands what I'm talking about. He notices that I'm looking at him in amazement.

"Is that surprising to you that I understand your meaning?"

"Very much so. You don't look like it."