Thirty Four

Erissa indiscriminately shoots mana arrows one after another with her backs to the barrier. While that's happening, a small, furry creature dashes through the barrier, straight towards me. The angry cry of a red panda breaks the soldiers' astonishment at the unexpected reinforcement from a ranger.

"Sorry for leaving you behind, Archie."

I stroke Archie's head with my free hand whilst my other hand is reluctant to release his loose hold. Seeing how the situation outside the barrier is not going anywhere no matter how much Armoured Ants have fallen with Erissa's mana arrows, I understand I have to leave his side. I know that, it's just, my body won't move. Noticing my predicament, Archie nudges my hand and calmness restore within me.

"Archie, make sure he doesn't wake up any time soon," I speak softly to Archie whilst carefully releasing the hold on my hand.

Archie looks at the unconscious white-haired man.

"Can you do that for me?"

Archie climbs to his chest as a way of responding to my request.

I stroke Archie's head before walking away with heavy steps until I'm only two steps from the wall of the barrier. I take a deep breath then exhale. The soldiers who are still able to stand and fight observes my movement and ready their weapons. I simply ignore them and walk out of the barrier. This will be my first time facing this many monsters and surprisingly, I'm not intimidated by the numbers. I cover my fist with earth blocks instead of using a weapon and punch the closest Armoured Ant to the ground with a hole in its body that's thought to be sturdy.

"Maybe I put too much power," I thought.

Honestly, I'm venting.

"Erissa, there are tainted monsters amongst the wolves," I notify her quietly in elvish.

Erissa sharply glances towards the seemingly endless approaching insects. "How many?"

"I can't tell from here, but it's strange," I pause. "Currently, Raging Bulls are the only ones clashing with the wolves while these annoying insects are only interested in us."

"That is strange," Erissa agrees as another Armoured Ant is shot down with her mana arrow.

"Erissa, your mana..."

"I can still shoot," Erissa answers without wavering. "As for these insects, I may know the cause."

"Tell me so that we can end this quick."

"There's a strong, peculiar scent where the soldiers are standing. I'm certain that must've lured the insects here."

I turn around at the barrier, wide-eyed in shock. I recall the blast from earlier. Shoot! The barrier can't block smell since the effect might lead to suffocation for the people inside the barrier. I cast a second barrier on top of the first one for my peace of mind, not that the Armoured Ants can make a scratch on it.