Thirty Six, pt 2

A different kind of tension is happening in the elves' village while the mining town and the adventurers are dealing with the monster stampede issue. The tense atmosphere is concentrated at the training ground where the rangers' evaluation is currently taking place. At the moment, the individual evaluation for swordsmanship is proceeding with Roy as the examiner for the Junior Rangers.

"This is the only time when he is acting more calm and thorough than anything else," Lorelai mutter as she observes from afar.

Unlike his usual self, Roy keeps his silence and maintains composure. His task as the examiner is to ascertain how much of their swordsmanship skill has improved from training. This is not the first time Roy participated (albeit forcibly) as an examiner even though the rangers' evaluation is an especially important event for the elves. Since it is already well-known that Roy's swordsmanship skill is far superior to the Junior Rangers, none voice their opposition. A Veteran Ranger is also present and oversees the individual evaluation together with Roy for a fair and balanced assessment.

"Still, his judging criteria are strict as always."

Lorelai shifts her gaze from the training ground and looks through the papers containing the results from yesterday's group.

"More than half earn above-average marks from Roy," Lorelai comments as she holds her dissatisfaction. "What's this? Those that he deems having adequate skill exceeded my prediction count by... four."

Both shock and amazement appeared on Lorelai's face when she finish counting how many leaf symbols are drawn beside the names of the Junior Rangers. The significance of the leaf symbol means the ranger(s) meets the minimum requirements to end their training early and graduate from being a Junior Ranger and be promoted to an active duty ranger - Advanced Ranger Class III.

"Excuse me, Commander."

A ranger approaches and whispers something into her ears.

Lorelai momentarily steps out of the training ground to where Stefan is waiting for her. Her expression shows her obvious displeasure.

"This better be important, Stefan. You know that I do not like to be disturbed when I'm monitoring the progress of the evaluation," Lorelai sternly remind him.

Stefan bows his head apologetically and explains. "My apologies, Lorelai. An urgent message just came from the ranger unit dispatched to the forest near the mining town."

Lorelai receives the letter from Stefan and immediately frowns at the unexpected sentence written at the top, 'Monster stampede suspected to be incited by someone, not a natural phenomenon.'

Following that, 'Blast traps were found planted along the path where the monster stampede occurred. Attached to the blasts were vials of monster attraction scent. Traps were safely disabled by three rangers and are currently secured by the dwarves at the mining town; the adventurers suffered minimal damage.'

Dumbstruck, Lorelai asks Stefan to be certain. "Was there someone amongst the ranger that can disassemble the blast mechanism?"