001: missing

Jungwon was speechless, unable to utter a single word.
He froze, blinking several times to make sure this wasn't a dream.
Unconsciously his grip around the girl tightened, making her flinch.

"Shit, I'm sorry..-" His eyes had widened, after noticing her pained expression as he stepped away from her almost immediately.
He was too overwhelmed with shock and disbelief, that his body unknowingly tensed at the girl's words.

"I-It's alright." She weakly nodded and looked down.

"Eunji, can you please repeat what you just said to me..?" He asked, his voice quiet.

The girl looked up again, her eyes widened slightly. It seemed like she was still surprised at the boy saying her name so casually, "I asked..if we knew each other in any way, because I can't seem to remember you."

Jungwon felt his heart dropping. His last bit of hope now crushed down completely.
He didn't mishear her.
She really meant it.

But then again he still didn't want to believe it, "Eunji, you are just kidding right? Please, tell me you are just joking."

"I'm really sorry." Was the only thing she said.
But it was enough to shatter his heart in a million pieces.

"Is this your way to get back at me?" Jungwon grabbed the girl's hand, still hoping that this was just a big prank, that the girl was pulling, "Eunji, I know I messed up real bad before, but please let's not do this. Please, don't do this."

"I don't know what you are talking about." Her eyes widened at the boy's devastated reaction, that she couldn't help but turn away from him, "I-I really don't know who you are."

"It's me, Jungwon." He gently grabbed the side of her face, making her look at him again, "Why..Why can't you recognise me?"

She looked into his face, her eyes travelling from his naturally winged eyes to his nose, further to his lips where her gaze stopped for a short while. Soon she put her hand on top of his, her expression unreadable, making it even harder for Jungwon to predict what she was going to say.

"I do. I do recognise you." She suddenly spoke, still staring into his eyes, while his breath stopped, a wave of relief washing over him.

"You do?" The boy nodded, weakly smiling, "Thank god, I thought you forget-"

"We are classmates, right?" She continued, the tone of her voice indefinable, "I-I'm just really surprised. I didn't know we were this close."

Again Jungwon's glee was torn down in mere seconds, his smile vanishing, "What do you mean this close..?" Jungwon asked, bitterness taking over him.

"We rarely talked at school and kinda used to ignore each other." The girl mumbled the last part, looking down, "We never really interacted either...so I'm sorry that I didn't recognise you at first-"

"You don't remember anything that happened after that?" Jungwon's voice was low, "Classmates? That's all you remember of me?"

"Is there more?" Her eyes were wide open, as she avoided his intense gaze once again. She was overwhelmed, "I'm sorry if-"

"Stop apologising to me." Jungwon took steps backwards, his breath hitching, "Please don't apologise to me."

With each step he took further away from the girl, his urge to run away grew. The way she talked to him, the way she looked at him, it was irritating him to the point where he was starting to lose his mind.
It was so different from before, when they used to be close.
She was so far away from him, but at the same there she was. Sitting in front of him, looking pale and weaker than he once remembered her. And most importantly she didn't remember him.