020: surgery

(a/n: alright. enough with the jokes. i'm not tryna be cheesy and shit, but a little bit cheesiness from time to time is okay you know???? anyway i just wanted to thank y'all for being so cute, patient and supportive of this book😩 i know it's lacking in many ways since i'm lowkey rushing it and keep falling into writer's blocks so I apologise when it's disappointing! still thank you to everyone who keeps up with it and still reads it<3 ily)
__________________________

eunji's p.o.v

"Did you sleep well?" Jungwon's voice made me turn my head to him almost immediately. The gentle smile on his lips was making me feel even more nervous.

"Yes." I lied.
Looking away again, I found myself searching for his hand to prevent myself from trembling any further.
It seemed like I caught him off guard, as he flinched slightly, before turning to look at me.

"Eunji?" He called for me, making me turn around to him as well.
Upon seeing my face, his hands suddenly caressed my head, as I stared at him in confusion, "Hey, Hey there...What's wrong?"

"What?"

"Please, don't cry."

Now it was me whose eyes widened, as I gently put away his hands, harshly wiping my eyes myself.
I really was crying.
"Damn, I didn't even notice.." I chuckled weakly, as my voice cracked, "I really shouldn't be acting like this right before a surgery-"

"Eunji." Was the only thing he said, before cupping my face again, "Don't try to keep your emotions to yourself. It will only make it worse."

He suddenly pulled me into his embrace with only his hand behind my head gently, as there were a lot more tubes attached to me this time, "I know you are scared, Eunji."

"My mom not once visited me, did she?" I asked out of nowhere, making Jungwon tense against my embrace.
And if I was honest I did sound a lot more bitter than I wanted to.

"She couldn't. I'm sorry for not telling you earlier."

"Why..?" My voice broke again as new tears started to form, a single one streaking down my cheek, "I didn't see her once after I woke up."

His voice had that certain tone again. It was low and soft, as if he was trying to calm me down. And it was surprisingly working well, "Your mother had to travel overseas for her job, but I promise you she will come back soon."

Overseas? I felt another bunch of tears brimming in the corner of my eyes, threatening to spill.

"You really take after her, Eunji." Jungwon kept calling my name and I could feel myself calming down again, "I told her that she shouldn't worry about any hospital expenses, but she kept insisting to at least pay the half and started working even harder for you. That's why she couldn't refuse the new job position overseas. She loves you Eunji. Don't ever question that."

"How much...are the hospital fees?"

"That's nothing you should be worried about. Really." Jungwon chuckled and looked down.

My heart dropped just thinking about how much the surgeries alone costed. Jungwon had been doing so much for me until now and I haven't found a way to pay him back yet, "Jungwon, I-I shouldn't have kept it a secret. I'm so sorry."

"Eunji...please. Not this." His voice was almost pleading, while the look in his eyes fell, "Don't blame yourself. You didn't know."

"I-I just didn't want the hospital expenses to increase, if I told them there was something wrong with me." I felt ridiculous crying in front of him like that, "I made it worse. I don't want to be a nuisance to you, Jungwon. I never wanted to-"