035: friendship

(a/n: bingo 🤝 adding unnecessary drama to spice up the entire storyline till the very end)
_______________________

The umbrella in his hands was already starting to turn outwards, because of how strong the wind was.
Deciding to stop running, Jungwon exhaled deeply and looked at the big display at the bus stop.

"No way. No fucking way." He cursed under his breath when the bus he was trying to get, got cancelled because of the current weather circumstances.
Things were going great.

Closing the umbrella again, he closed his eyes, frowning when rain drops started to soak his hair, even though he put up his hood. Out of all days, why did it have to rain today?

Glancing down to his hand, he smiled, before he looked ahead, determination taking over his mind immediately.
The unformed heart on top of the umbrella (drawn by no one other than Eunji) fuelled his motivation to find her, wherever she was.

- flashback -

"It's about Eunji." Her mother spoke with a trembling voice.

Jungwon immediately felt alarmed, concern written all over his face. What was going on? Was Eunji...in danger?

"Jungwon, I need you to listen closely." Miss Kim's voice shook and she had to take a deep breath, before continuing.
Whatever it was, it was more than serious, "I know things aren't too great between you two. And I fully respect that."

The boy didn't answer, immediately avoiding the adult's eye contact, when she put her hand on his.

"But I really need your help on this."

"I-I'm not sure, Mrs. Kim." Jungwon visibly hesitated, his gaze directed to the ground, "I don't think it's my place to help..I probably will just make things worse-"

"No, don't say that Dear. If someone can help, it's you." She smiled warmly, before nodding, "The thing is, Eunji has been acting strange these days. Stranger than she has ever been and...It's worrying me."

"Strange..?"

"She left really early this morning and isn't responding to any of my calls." The adult had to take deep breaths, "Her whole room was left in a complete mess. It's not like her. Especially today, when she-"

"Is today..a special day?"

"Today's her dad's death anniversary, Jungwon." Eunji's mother stared into his eyes, "And she never went to go visit his grave alone before."

- flashback end -

The boy was completely out of breath, as he glanced ahead. Jungwon really just ran all the way here.
"Finally." He breathed out, as the big, capital letters of the word CEMETERY made him gulp visibly.

With every step he took, he felt his heart getting heavier and heavier.

Eunji didn't change. After all this time, she didn't change. She still hid from everyone else whenever she was feeling down or was grieving.
Her goal to not worry others was completely backfiring and she didn't even know.