12

Jealousy is a mental cancer.

                                                           - B.C. Forbes
-

Another week or so went by, and Aris was starting to become very impatient with Edward.

She felt like they were making progress and slowly gaining each other's trust, but every time she hinted that she felt like she deserved to know why he was so rude the night they met, he just said the same exact phrase every. damn. time.

"I get it, okay?! You'll tell me one day, yada yada yada. I just don't understand why that day can't be today!" She exclaimed, frustratedly throwing her hands in the air as they walked down the hallway towards lunch.

Edward wheezed a hearty laugh, enjoying how easily he was able to get Aris all worked up over a thing as small as a secret.

"You'd save yourself a lot of effort if you'd just give up already." He shrugged.

Her eyes narrowed as she glowered up at him.

"You know how you were so worked up about how you couldn't read my mind before?" She asked, causing him to nod, "okay, take that irritation, but like, quadruple it, okay? That's how I'm feeling right now, and at least you finally figured out the answer to your question." Of course she hadn't given him the real truth to the question of why he couldn't read her mind, but the fact that he had an answer that he believed - it settled all his worries, at least for the time being.

"Tsk tsk, patience darling," he chastised, "good things come to those who wait."

She groaned loudly, bumping him with her shoulder out of annoyance.

"Have I ever told you how much I hate you Edward Cullen? I hate you and that stupid cocky smirk of yours, along with your stupid, self absorbed attitude, along with your stupid face." She spat, desperate to say something - anything that would even slightly insult him in any way.

She felt him stiffen at her side, causing her to think for a moment that she had actually successfully insulted him, before he started to talk, revealing the true reason for the shift in his demeanor.

"The new kid is around the corner talking about you. Says he saw you in gym yesterday, but was too chicken to go up and talk to you."  He scoffed.

Aris remembered back to yesterday when the rumors of a new kid being at the school was the topic of the day's gossip. She hadn't caught wind of him anywhere until p.e., when she had been planning to go up and introduce herself out of common courtesy, but quickly got distracted and was wrapped into another one of Emmett and Rosalie's daily Edward story times.

She remembered finding him fairly attractive, at least for a human, and she had also heard good things about him from her fellow peers.

"I think I'm gonna go say hi to him. I can't imagine it's easy showing up at a new school knowing nobody." She said, causing Edward to look down at her.

Before he could get a word in, she speedwalked ahead and rounded the corner, heading towards where she could see him far up ahead just chatting with another random student.

"Hi, you must be Clay," she smiled as soon as she approached them, extending her hand, "I'm Aris, it's nice to meet you."

The boy's face heated behind his freckles that scattered across his cheeks and nose, and his friend with whom he had been talking too, took the opportunity to leave subtly.

"Yeah, hi." He mumbled, clearing his throat as he shook her hand.

He was fairly tall, standing at around 5'11 or so, and he really was just your typical, conventionally attractive, teenage boy. His hair was a dirty blonde color and parted down the middle, on the more volume filled and fluffy side. His facial features were nice and chiseled, giving him a fairly defined bone structure, and a few thin silver chains hung from his neck.