30

She needs someone to hold her when she cries

- "She Needs Someone To Hold Her (When She Cries)" by Conway Twitty

-

Aris stared out of the window of her kitchen, just absentmindedly twiddling her fingers and enjoying the quiet as she watched the sun rise off in the distance.

Her gaze was then broken by what she could've sworn was the flashing of someone in a black cloak passing by her window, but it was gone before she could even process it.

She stood out of her chair, pushing it under the table, and making her way over to the window where she peered out suspiciously. The view was still the same, no mysterious person in a cloak anywhere in sight.

She sighed, about to go and sit down again, assuming that her mind was just playing tricks on her, when she heard the faint creaking of her front door being opened from across the house. Her defensive mindset immediately snapped in place as she attempted to speed over to where she knew her door to be located, wanting to confront the intruder. However, to her great dismay, she found that her super speed was no longer there as she ran at a normal human pace.

She eventually made it to the front door which was wide open, though no one stood before it, outside or inside.

"Who's here?" She called out. Upon receiving no response, she felt herself start to get irritated with the stupid intruder who would be no match for her superhuman abilities. "Show yourself! Don't be a coward." She crooned, a wicked smile on her face as she started to ascend up the stairs.

Before she had even made it halfway up, she felt her wrists lock together firmly behind her back as she was dragged down the stairs at a lighting speed, the person's hands gripping her wrists so tightly that it was painful.

"Let me go!" She screeched, writhing around and flailing her legs, though it was no match against the person's strength who held her from behind.

"Don't struggle, it's no use." The stranger whispered into her ear, his voice unrecognizable.

Not even a second later, dainty footsteps descended the stairs as another stranger made her way down them, holding a book in her hand.

The girl was dressed in a black cloak atop her equally dark, fitted dress. Her blonde hair was tied tightly into a bun, accentuating her scorching red eyes which were hungry to cause pain.

"You can release her, Felix," her child-like, soft voice instructed, "she's not going anywhere."

Aris felt her hands fall to her sides again, but she no longer felt in control of them. All she wanted to do was turn around and fight the man who had so suddenly restrained her before, but no matter how hard she tried to move, she couldn't.

She was stuck.

The girl couldn't have been more than 13 years old, but her presence alone sent chills throughout Aris's body. Something about her was terrifying, the pure desire she seemed to have to cause pain and torture, as if it was a hobby of hers.

"What is this?" The girl asked, flashing the book that she had supposedly retrieved from upstairs.

"I don't know." Aris scoffed, she'd never seen it in her life. "You didn't bring it?"

The girl's jaw ticked in annoyance, her eyes narrowing.

"Don't patronize me." She seethed, taking a step closer. "Now I'm going to ask you again, what is this?" She balanced the book in between her pointer and middle finger.