28

She is addicting because she possesses a pure heart and a dirty mind.

                                                      - JmStorm
-

Aris hummed, not about to verbally agree, but unable to deny it either. She did like his cockiness... to an extent. At some points it did get irritating though, but that was probably partially because she was also the slightest bit of an arrogant person herself. I mean, how could you not be cocky when you were immortal? It automatically made them better than almost everyone else, so of course it went to their heads a bit.

"I love it when you're quiet." She smiled innocently, causing Edward to roll his eyes. Not wanting to let her get away with that snarky comment, he knew just how to mess with her.

"And I love it when you're flustered." With that, he took his right hand off of the wheel, placing it on Aris's lower thigh lightly, right by her knee.

Though it was anything but sexual, merely just Edward teasing her, it was enough to make her cheeks flush, and her breath to hitch in her throat.

A smug smile tugged on the corners of Edward's lips as he watched the effect he had on her through his peripheral vision. He could hear how her heart rate sped up astronomically, her breathing speed also increasing.

"Damnit Edward," she huffed, pushing his hand off embarrassed, "I don't appreciate these mixed signals you're sending."

He rolled his tongue on the inside of his cheek, instantly annoyed at her hypocrisy.

"Don't act like you haven't been doing the exact same thing," his tone was sharp, sharper than he meant it to be, "like what you did before you through me out of that desk awhile back, you knew what you were doing."

Aris shrugged, relenting.

"Maybe, but at least I wouldn't ruin any chance you got at going out with someone. At least I wouldn't spend God knows how much money on a date, and not even call it a date. At least I don't act like I like you one minute, and then turn into a complete asshole the next." Her hands were running through her hair as she ranted frustratedly, causing Edward's jaw to tick in annoyance as he realized that she was right, and he was in the wrong.

"Fine. Tell me to stop then," he challenged, "tell me you don't want me to continue to get jealous when you go out with other guys. Tell me you want me to keep my hands off of you. Tell me you want to just be friends."

Aris huffed angrily, crossing her arms over her chest as she looked out the window, not allowing him to see her eyes. He caught her there. He knew that she liked what they had going on just as much as he did. She liked the games that they played with each other, and the constant feeling of being on edge. She liked knowing that they had the freedom to do what they wanted and go out with whoever they wanted, all while still knowing that no one would entice them the way the other did.

"Just because I like the game we're playing, doesn't mean it's healthy, Cullen." She plainly stated after a moment.

Edward's lips formed a hard line, not wanting to accept the truth in that statement.

"Why not? What's so wrong with this? Neither of us are hurting each other, per say. What's so wrong with having a complicated relationship like this?" He asked, brows furrowed.

"Because Edward, we're hurting other people in the process, and subconsciously hurting ourselves as well. It's not fair for us to date other people and not be able to give them all of our attention since we're still hooked on each other!" Her voice was exasperated. "It's not healthy to cling to each other's attention like this, knowing that we're not going to ever be together. Besides, it's not like we're going to play this game forever. What happens fifty years from now? Are we still doing this petty shit? It's bound to get boring after a while, and then what do we have?" She made several undeniably good points, causing Edward to just become all the more frustrated.