👑21| Rescue

🌸🌸

"I won't hurt you. Come," the young man exclaims. As he stretches out his hand, twelve little children squeeze their bodies at a corner and nip their hands in their bent over knees. Their view displaces after they look up trembling. Raising their shaky heads, their sobs silence for a while.

In their delicate eyes, they stare into that of a young man looking down. His face hides beneath a black hat with a beaded line which only exposes his side view.

 As his left hand stays in the air extending to greet them, they push back further while shaking their heads. They start to sob the more finding several guards standing by the entrance with swords in their possession.

 "Come—I won't hurt you." he states. Although his voice seems cool to them, the fear in their hearts doesn't diminish with just that. With a heavy sigh, he lifts his head slowly and smiles at them. The kind smile on his face loosens the anxiety in their eyes.

The children sulk while staring into his eyes. One of the little boys recognizes him and runs to him quickly to hug his hanbok. Min Kyu squats to reach his level coping his reaction.

"Thank God I could save you," Min Kyu sighs. He quickly picks him up with his hands and throws him around in the air while he laughs out loud. The other children begin to feel relieved and move closer to him one by one from the corner.

"What's your name? Your cheeks are cute!" A quick simulating smile pops up on his face noticing the dissipating fear in her eyes while cupping a little girl's cheeks. She blushes and smiles back at him holding her dress, "Jin Deok."

She fondles over his legs playfully giggles at him at each circling with a large smile on her face. "I'll take you back to your parents tomorrow. But for now I brought you something to eat."

He declares a clap which makes a guard enter after. With his slow movements making his way to them, the aroma of kimchi lurks through their noses. They begin to jump in joy while approaching the guard. He quickly passes the tray to Min Kyu while smiling at their positivity.

Jumping at him with their hands raised first, Min Kyu laughs at their calls. "Who wants one?" They start to jump more raising their left hands in the air amidst clapping.

Noticing the positivity in their eyes, he lowers his hand to pass out individual plates for the children who smile happily as they see the food.

Digging in with chopsticks, they munch their food stuffing it into their mouths. Talking to each other is the next thing they begin to indulge in. They start to play with each other and chase around the room.

His smiles fade as he notices one of them staring at the food. With a look of melancholy, she gazes blankly at the kimchi.

"Kimchi only tastes good while it's hot. Dig in." Min Kyu complains. She doesn't budge and still sits in silence. Only after sitting beside her, she raises her head slowly and begins to talk while shaking her head cutely.

"I miss mom so much." Min Kyu cups her cheeks and fetches some of the kimchi with her chopsticks.

"I promise I'll take you to her tomorrow. For now, you have to be strong when you go back. You wouldn't want her worrying. So open up," he says in a playful manner as he entwines the kimchi in between the chopsticks before directing it to her mouth.

She nods after a moment and opens her mouth to take it. Her face beams with smiles after she takes a short munch.

"It's really nice!" She takes the chopsticks from him and plunges it in the kimchi to eat herself. With every munch, she turns to him with a smile.