Chapter 2 - babban yaya

Asokoro, Abuja.

"Asma!"

The young girl lifted her head up from the pancake batter she was mixing and met the eyes of her troublesome older sister, Azeeza, who was clearly just waking up, considering the fact that she was dressed in her pajamas. By the look on Azeeza's face, you could easily tell that she was looking for ways to start unnecessary drama, but Asma was already used to it since Azeeza has basically turned that into her daytime job.

"Why did you take my charger without my permission?" Azeeza Asked, furiously.

"Why would I take your charger when I have my own?" Asma raised an eyebrow "if you want to use my charger just say that, instead of blaming me for taking yours that you misplaced, ai bazan hana ki nawan bah; it's not like I won't give you mine"

"Keh? How dare you speak to me like that?" Azeeza moved closer to her, threatening to hit her.

"Zee wallahi If you touch me I won't spare you this time around" funny enough, despite how arrogant and troublesome Azeeza is, she was a weakling when it came to physical fights, unlike Asma who was a literal beast when pushed to the wall.

Before Azeeza could respond, Lami, their house help who was in her late fifties walked into the kitchen from the backyard with a basket of washed utensils in her hands.

"Baba Lami Nda watu; Baba Lami good morning" Asma greeted in kanuri with a small smile on her face.

"Kilewa siley asama'u" Lami responded with a bigger smile as she kept the basket on the floor before turning to Azeeza "Nda watu Azeeza; good morning Azeeza" Lami greeted since Azeeza was definitely not going to greet her.

"is my breakfast ready?"

"Ah ah. Wankewanken yayi mun yawa ne shiyasa ban karasa girkin bah, gashi su Meeno basu iso ba tukunna, amma kiyi hakuri yanzu za'a karasa inshallah; no, the dishes were much for me to wash that's why I couldn't finish cooking on time, also Meeno and the rest haven't arrived yet, but have some patience, I'll have it done very soon inshallah" Lami explained.

Azeeza hissed "wannan ai iskanci neh!; this is bullshit! What do you mean breakfast is not ready? It's almost 9am now fah! Are we paying you to eat, rest and defecate? Toh wallahi baki isa bah, I want to see my breakfast on the table in less that 20 minutes!"

"Haba mana zee, she told you she-" Asma started but Azeeza cut her off.

"Keh dallah shut up! Am I talking to you?" She snapped at her and then turned to Lami once again "and you, 20 minutes! When you're done, bring the food up to my room" She sassed and turned around to leave, but was welcomed by an unexpected resounding slap across her face which made her fall flat on the floor.

"Subhanallahi!" Lami And Asma exclaimed at the same time and rushed to the scene. It was Hafeez, the eldest son of the Talba family. They were all oblivious to the fact that he had been standing by the door, watching all that was unfolding.

Hafeez raised his hand and was about to land it on Azeeza's face once again but Lami was quick to hold him back "dan Allah babana kayi hakuri; please calm down"

"Baba Lami allow me to teach her a lesson!" He said and snatched his hand away from her hold, but kept it to himself instead of hitting Azeeza like he intended to "how dare you, Azeeza? Just how dare you talk to her like that? This woman can give birth to three of your kind, even mama is younger than she is, but because you're a shameless mannerless idiot, you had the guts to open your mouth and say such things to her?" He bellowed, making Azeeza shiver as she sobbed loudly on the tiled kitchen floor.