Chapter 47 - Extreme lenghts

3 days later.

Hafeez

When people talked about waking up into a nightmare, I always thought it was ridiculous and that they were just being dramatic. I didn't think it was possible, not until it happened to me.

For the first time ever in my entire life, I found myself in a situation where something as basic as opening my eyes turned out to be my biggest regret because of the pain it sent throughout my entire system. I wished I could've stayed unconscious for a longer time because nothing was more hurtful than being awake at that moment; being so close to achieving your goal and then all of a sudden being dragged back to the starting point in a matter of seconds, making all that hard work go down the drain like dirty water.

The previous day when I got a call from Layla's mom, she told me that They were on their way to diff hospital, where Layla's elective caesarean was scheduled to hold like 5 days later, but that something came up and an emergency caesarean was taking place instead, right that very moment. I must admit that I got a little bit too excited, because that was the 'time' I had been so impatiently waiting for; the day she gives birth. That baby was my ticket to getting her out of my life, and it's arrival was gonna give me the chance to make her pay for everything she did to me and Aya. I wanted to embarrass her, I wanted to humiliate her, and I wanted to make her regret the day she was born, but unfortunately, that excitement when I got the call cost me severely because I lost the most important thing I needed at that moment; Focus.

I dropped mama back at our family house without any explanation, despite how much pressure she was putting on me to tell her what was going on. For some reason I just couldn't say anything, that and I also didn't want anyone to know that Layla's baby was coming until after it did, and that's where I made a mistake because as I drove down to the hospital, I was sort of....ambushed by a group of 5 men. I almost got into a really bad car crash in the process, but Alhamdulillah I was able to control it and stop. I don't really remember much after that but I know they forcefully grabbed me and tried to get me into their own car, but of course I fought back, and as a result of that, one of them hit me hard in the head with something, and seconds later I blacked out.

From there, I woke up in an abandoned 6 storey building, tied to a pillar with my hands up and all types of wounds on various parts of my body, especially my torso. When I regained consciousness and realized that I was tied up, no words were said, the moment they saw my eyes open, They grabbed sticks and leather belts and beat the hell out of me, which made me pass out for a second time, it was when I woke up, again, that I found out who they were and what their motive was, which brings me back to how my excitement cost me severely.

As I was telling Mama what was really going on, Layla heard everything. I was incredibly shocked by that because when Mama came, Layla was not in the house, or so I thought. She had told me that she was going to her parents house and I even saw the moment she left, so I was so sure that she wasn't in the house even when I spoke to Adnan. I was usually very careful with the way I acted around her because I couldn't risk letting her get even the slightest idea that I knew whatever she was up to but someway, somehow, she still managed to get one step ahead of me.

"Oh Hafeez, you thought you were so smart, didn't you?" Came her irritating voice with a creepy smile adorning her face. What I actually 'thought' was that, that moment couldn't possibly get any worst, but the moment I opened my eyes, for the second time, her face was the first thing I saw, sitting cross legged in front of me on an old dining chair, she Obviously she wasn't in need of any emergency C-section, she was perfectly fine "you really thought you would be able to beat me and my own game? I never knew you were this dumb" she chuckled "though I must admit that you almost did get your way, that was an amazing plan you had going on, but unfortunately, your brain was too small to finish it up properly," she added, shaking her head in the process.