Chapter 49 - illusion

Aya

"I still don't understand why you want to listen to her Wallahi," said Anas as we walked into the Gynecology section, side by side "for your life you no dey vex?"

I chuckled at that last part without even knowing. It was a normal thing whenever Anas was involved, how someone could look so serious yet be a complete goofball will forever be amazing to me, even if that guy doesn't say anything, his facial expression will make you laugh "I am curious about why she's looking for me, but to be honest with you, I just needed a small distraction from Hajiya and the other two, I felt like they were standing on my throat and blocking my airway,"

It's no news that me and anyone between Hajiya, Aunty Yana and Aunty Aisha in the same room could easily pass off as the worst idea ever. They always found a way to make my life a living hell with something as small as a glare, and I always tried to endure it out of respect for them being my in laws, but I didn't have the strength to do it that day because I was barely even held together, so much was happening, and all at once, so I knew if I had stayed near them for another minute, the thread I was hanging on would've just cut.

"I'm not claiming to be the best person out there, I know I'm not, but what have I ever done to them in this life? I've always tried to stay on my lane and mind my business, but they always find reasons to Insult and come for me," I said "i quit my acting career not only because I was tired of it, but because I was hoping that decision would make them leave me alone for a bit, I thought they would take a small break from the one sided war but Wallahi Anas, from that day, it got even much worse, ko blinking nayi, they must find a reason to complain,"

I finished my little rant at the same time we got into the elevator to go to the second floor. The moment the ride started, I felt my insides spiraling and turning inside out, like I was on some roller coaster, if it had continued for another second, I know I would've hurled my guts out, but thankfully it came to a stop, leaving me with a flushed face and heavy breath.

"Are you okay?" He asked, clearly concerned as we stepped out.

"I'm fine, I guess it was the elevator, the ride made me a bit nauseous" I replied after catching my breath.

"Are you sure? You don't look too good," he insisted "why don't you sit in that lounge? I'll go and get you some water"

"No no it's okay, I'm fine Wallahi, don't worry"

"I don't think it's 'fine' for someone to just turn pink, but if you say so, then okay" He didn't seem to be convinced but because I was persistent, he just let it go "better change color now before we go back, because if they see you like this, they'll have something else to say, especially that Aunty Aisha," he ended that with a hiss "that woman is bad news Wallahi, I actually got into a row with her once"

"Really?" I asked, more interested than shocked because I knew she was very capable of that "when?"

"Like a year ago, just some months before you married Hafeez" he said "she dragged the hell out of me ehhhh!"

Again, I chucked "what did you do to her Toh?"

"Wai na gaishe ta a tsaye; apparently, I greeted her while standing. Till this very day I don't remember when that happened, because ba ma ita na ke kallo ba, I was busy trying to heal from the pain of mistaking swallowing the piece of meat I wasn't done chewing just seconds before that, yet my ancestors still chop insults from all directions," between the way he was saying it and me playing the scene out in my head, I didn't know which was funnier "God knows if she was someone of my age, I would've beat her to a pulp"