🍁 Chapter 7

The week passed by quickly, and it was soon time for Carol to visit Julien again. As I had promised her I would, I had to tag along.

“Is this really going to be okay…?” I murmured.

“It’s okay! I won’t be scared if you’re with me,” said Carol.

Carol was excited because this was my first time going to the palace. We got onto the carriage together.

“I wasn’t scared when Mother came with me, but now it’s better because you’re here!”

It was heartbreaking to see how much Carol relied on her cruel mother. But seeing Carol laugh so happily, I started to laugh as well.

I was glad. At least I could be here for you.

***

The Empress welcomed me and Carol with an inscrutable sort of smile. Prince Julien sat beside her, elegantly taking a sip of his tea.

Was he born like that?

Then, as we entered into their space, I witnessed a bizarre scene.

“Your Imperial Highness, Carol Benice von Gratoni greets you.”

Uh. What? Why was she acting like this? Was she sick?

It was the first time I had ever seen Carol act so courteously, and I was briefly mesmerized by the scene.

But I also had to do my part, rather than stand around like an idiot.

“It’s an honor to meet you, your Imperial Highness. I am Sharon of Atrina.”

“Welcome,” said the Empress. “I see that the young miss Sharon will join us today. I hope that you continue to visit the palace in the future and become good friends with Julien.”

Hmm. I guess I don’t need to worry about whether I’m welcome at the palace in the future.

I watched closely as the Empress reached out her hand and patted the prince’s arm. He flinched, then turned to me with a feigned smile.

…Was he really a child?

“Lady Sharon, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I hope that we will get along.”

“…Me as well, your highness.”

When Julien and I finished exchanging our greetings, the empress stood up, wearing a smile that looked like it was painted on her.

The elegance of her motion felt unnatural, but I didn’t know why.

Before I could shake off these strange thoughts, the Empress spoke. “Well, it’s time that I go out of your way so that you children can become friends. Please feel welcome here, as if this were your own home.”

“Thank you, your highness,” said Carol and I in unison.

The Empress did not respond to us. She was staring straight at the crown prince, whose shoulder she was still holding. “Can you take care of things from here?”

“Yes, Mother.”

The Empress left.

It was only then that Carol revealed her true colors again. She bounced across the room and sat across from the prince.

“Hey, what’s up with your face?”

…Where did she learn to talk like that?

As I scratched my head, I went to sit down between the two.

Julien curled up the corner of his lips. “What about you?” he said. “You’ve become even uglier than before.”

…What was wrong with these kids? I felt like I was stuck between two raging bears.1