🍁Chapter 30

“Do you want it?”

Julien’s mother wasn’t referring to the necklace. She was talking about Sharon. 

He’d already been caught. If he said no, there was no telling what sort of harm his mother would do to Sharon to test him. It had been a long time since Julien had been put on edge like this. 

Seeing Julien clench his fist, the Empress laughed. “Well. It isn’t bad to want something. Actually, this could be a good thing.”

The Empress took Julien’s hand and placed the necklace on top. “Here. You can have it.” 

Julien was anxious. It was suspicious how mildly his mother was taking this.

“However…"

As expected, she wasn’t done. Julien hardened his expression.

“My son, you have to be perfect. In whatever you do. Furthermore… What if the duke’s daughter leaves you because you aren’t good enough? Look at this case. You have to become better.”

Her mad eyes focused on Julien. His reflection in her moonlit eyes was eerie, and Julien stepped back.

“Like your brother was, Julien.”

Julien watched as his mother’s face turned nostalgic at the mention of his brother, whose face he didn’t even know.

He held his breath and waited for the Empress to continue speaking.

“Yes, like your brother.”

The Empress gazed into the air for a moment and opened her lips.

“Seduce Carol with whatever means necessary. That’s how you and I will survive. It’s also your bridge to become emperor. Even if you don’t like it… You can at least tempt her with your body.”

Julien’s heart turned frosty.

“What are you saying…?"

“I see you’re playing dumb, Julien. I’m telling you to do whatever it takes."

Julien felt dazed, like the sight in front of him was growing further.

His mother was ordering him to learn how to sleep with women.

It was the price for revealing his feelings. His heart felt like it was suffocating.

“If you spite Carol, you and I will have no future. Do you think Duke Gratoni will leave the ones who abandoned his daughter alone? We cannot ignore the poison he hides in his heart. He is a terrifying man.”

But in Julien’s eyes, his mother looked even more terrifying.

“Don’t you think it’s time we avenge my son, who was trampled over by the First Consort?”

Julien couldn’t say anything. It was like the Empress’s eyes didn’t even see him.

“I never wanted to give birth to you, so you must become the emperor for me.”

His mother, as usual, was merciless toward him.

“Then.”

At that moment, the atmosphere around the Empress suddenly changed. The cold Empress squarely met Julien’s eyes.

“Then. I will allow you to have what you want.”

Julien felt his hand, which was still holding the sound marble, lose its strength.

“I trust that you understand me, Julien.”

"Mother…”

“Go inside.”