🍁 Chapter 16

"That's enough!"

Carol pushed away the maid's hand and glared at Julien.

Unlike the other aristocrats, Julien was wearing a gold ribbon with red lines. He looked at Carol with cold eyes.

His black, glass-like pupils were chilly.

"Would you mind not talking to me?"

"That's what I was going to say."

They were still on bad terms with each other.

People didn't change so easily.

They just learned how to wear a friendly mask in front of Sharon so that they could get her attention and be loved by her.

Sharon did bring a change to the two of them.

At their young age, they had learned how to hide their innermost thoughts!

***

Julien raised his right hand, moving in synchronicity with the Emperor while standing behind him. He exuded great dignity throughout the ceremony.

Anybody who observed him would say that Julien's spirit was beyond that of a mere 8 year old.

That was why even though Julien was born with red hair, a color foreign to the Imperial line, nobody talked poorly of his qualifications as the crown prince.

The other princes tried to undercut Julien's power for their own benefit, but even they did not question his legitimacy nor authority.

But in reality, Julien was just trying to protect himself against this colorless world.

Everyone was against him.

Julien knew well that a friend today could stab his back tomorrow, and even his blood, his family, could raise a blade against him.

If it wasn't for his mother's protection, Julien would already be dead.

'It's troublesome that her protection comes with poisonous thorns.'

At such an official ceremony, any minor mistakes he made were bound to lead to corporal punishment.

That was why Julien was on edge.

But when Julien saw Carol raise both her middle fingers at him, he burst into laughter. It was clear what she was mouthing at him.

'Eat this.'

Carol was the only person here who was exactly the same on the inside as the outside. No, well, there was actually one more person.

Haru was snickering without any manners during the serious and sacred Foundation Day ceremony. He kept his hands in his pockets even as his parents surreptitiously rapped him on his head. He only pulled out his hands when he met Julien's eyes.

Then, Haru waved his hands wildly, and he only calmed down when Count Atrata rapped him on his head again.

'Idiot.'

Julien gradually relaxed. They had finally reached the last part of the ceremony, and everything had gone smoothly without a single mistake.

But perhaps it was too early to be relieved.

The Emperor spoke, saying something very explosive.

The Emperor had definitely been enjoying the meal in this friendly atmosphere, but something must have irritated him. He put his hand on the Empress, who had been sitting beside him.

"The crown prince has just one problem."

Julien braced himself.

Lord Cosabalta led exactly 89 knights at the time of the empire's founding. Of their families and descendants, 80 aristocrats were currently in attendance.