🍁 Chapter 43

“Sharon!” Julien stopped me with a flustered expression. “Why are you leaving?”

He knew it, didn’t he? That he wasn’t old enough to smoke.

I shrugged. “I don’t like the smoke.”

Julien, who always acted maturely, suddenly looked mischievous. I shook my head and put on a disappointed expression. I took back my hand that Julien had grabbed and started to leave like I had originally intended.

But I failed again.

Julien’s large hand grabbed my wrist.

He had responded quickly. My tactic was much more effective than I expected.

“Sorry. I won’t do it. I won’t even touch one again.”

“What?”

I tilted my head and smiled provokingly, pretending not to understand.

“The cigar,” Julien said, determined. He took out the cigar case from his pocket and placed it on top of the terrace railing. “So, don’t leave. Don’t turn your back on me.”

I was a little dazed. I realized once again that raising kids was a learning experience for both parties.

Sometimes, apathy could act as well as any scolding.

I found myself smiling sincerely.

Julien was a good kid.

Everyone in the world needed to know about how good the prince was. It was stupid, but I wanted to brag about him.

“Good thinking, Liya.”

Julien’s earlobe turned red, like he was caught off-guard by the praise.

He wasn’t just good; he was also cute.

"Oh, right! I haven’t given you your present yet!”

I brought out the red bracelet that I worked hard to make last night.

It was a little weird, thinking about the time Carol flipped out at the maids because of a bracelet. But since she continued wearing a bracelet like she would never part with it, Julien, who had similar tastes, would probably like one too.

“…Did you make this yourself?”

“Yeah. I’m surprisingly skillful at crafts.”

I hated moving around, so I was good at sitting down and not exercising.

“It’s a bracelet that grants wishes. You have to wear it until it breaks. That way, your wish will come true.”

The bracelet on his left wrist suited him well.

I knew that I matched it right. The color was just like the prince’s red hair.

"Do you like it?”

“…Very much.“

Julien said after staring at the bracelet for a long time. He was so adorable that I laughed.

I figured that the kids would like something like this better than material objects.

In the novel, both Carol and Julien wanted to be loved. To live the life that they wanted, to be loved, and to live while loving.

While making the bracelet last night, I had repeated one thought over and over.

I wished for these kids’ happiness with all my heart.

***

"You should have brought Sharon with you.” Aruna smacked her lips at the missed opportunity.