🍁 Chapter 35

“Now, I think I’ve shown you all my cards. Sharon, what do you think? Will you accept my offer and take care of the ducal mansion?”

“Yes. That’s what I’ve been doing until now. However, please keep your promise that you will be on Carol and my side.”

There was no need to hesitate. Now, I had the authority to handle the house without being wary of the duke.

Score!

“Of course, Sharon. May I ask just one question?”

”…Ask away.“

“What will you do with Sarah?”

I answered without hesitation. “I’ll send her overseas. I’d like it if she could never come back.”

The Duke rubbed his chin and nodded. Really, he must not have had the slightest feeling toward Sarah.

He wasn’t showing any emotion.

“…I think I can help with that. The Gratoni name will be more useful in applying for her travel ban.”

“…Sounds good."

I grabbed the Duke’s hand.

There was no reason not to join forces with the Duke, who had even revealed his secrets.

For Carol, and for me.

“I’ll give you one bit of advice… You should also start socializing. You’ll fall behind like this. Many things will change rapidly with the unstable succession of the imperial powers.”

I was already thinking about that, though I didn’t know much of the small details.

I vaguely thought that it might be time to step into the social world.

It was a natural conclusion, looking at the troublemakers, Carol and Julien.

What if they make a mistake there?

The effort I’ve put in so far would become futile.

I could never allow that.

I didn’t cook this porridge just to feed it to the dogs.

“I’ll listen to your advice. Thank you.”

The Duke looked surprised by my greeting.

Hey, I wasn’t that rude.

Kindness for a kindness, and a favor for a favor. Didn’t he know that?

“I’m glad.”

The Duke’s lips moved slightly like he was looking for the suitable words.

“It’s been a while since I’ve dealt with a young lady, so it’s strange. Today’s conversation was pleasant. You may leave now. Carol will be looking for you.”

I stood up without pause.

"I’ll see you next time."

As I bowed politely and started to leave, I heard the Duke murmur,

“That you came to us… was an indescribable good fortune. Thank you sincerely.”

I exited and closed the door.

Oh, how weird.

My head was blank. New facts have been added to the storyline that I knew.

In addition, I had an unexpected backer.

Was this the price of sparing and exiling the Duchess, who was destined to die, and changing Carol who would have been more cruel than the Duchess?