🍁 Chapter 20

After Julien and Haru went back, Madame DeJoue told me that I should sleep more. Quietly, I replied, “How can I go back to sleep when I slept for so long? You said that I was out for 3 days.”

My eyes were wide open. I slept that entire time without waking up once, so that should be enough.

Come to think of it… That was one good thing about being sick.

It may have been the first time I slept deeply without nightmares since I first came to this world.

Was that good or bad?

I sighed. “Anyway, I want to wash myself.”

“A maid will be here soon. The first one that wakes up.”

“Did you ask her for me?”

“…Since you always wake up around this time, I just arranged it with the maids who wake up first.”

Madame DeJoue’s tone was calm as always, but I was touched.

I could feel how much Madame DeJoue cared for me and the affection she was showing me.

Madame DeJoue knew much more about me than I had thought, and the reason I could adapt to this world and be comfortable here was because of the consideration of Madame DeJoue and the people around me.

Now, I realized… More than I knew, I was…

“Sharooon!”

The door opened, and a whining sound like a siren came in.

I couldn’t finish my thoughts nor thank Madame DeJoue because Carol did not give me any time.

“You’re not sick anymore? Are you okay? I was scared to death!“

"What do you have to be afraid of?”

I ended up comforting her in my arms as she continued to whine. Carol, who gently held onto me with her whole body, seemed so desperate that I couldn’t help myself.

"Sharon, you didn’t open your eyes… I thought you were mad at me. I thought it was because you hated me.”

Crying, Carol rubbed her face on my clothes. I’m glad I was leaning on the couch. Otherwise, we’d both fall down.

"No. There’s no way I would do that.”

"Sniff… you’re not sick anymore?”

"Of course.”

I comforted the cutely whimpering Carol.

“Lady Carol, Lady Sharon needs to wash up. She’s been sweating a lot… I heard the maid prepared a bath as soon as she woke up…”

There’s no way that a maid wasn’t awake when the late-riser Carol woke up. When Madame DeJoue heard from the maid, who was hesitating outside, she came in to comfort Carol and lead her away.

But instead of falling away from me, Carol buried her head and said, "I’m going to take a bath with Sharon!”

“Who gave you permission…”

"That’s okay, right Sharon?”

She was already no longer listening to me.

“Since you’re still young…”

Madame DeJoue’s eyes glanced past me.

Why did she hesitate just now?

“That’s right. Since you’re still young, it should be alright.”

Madame DeJoue left to tell the maid to prepare for the two of us.

As I patted Carol, who was still sticking to me, on the shoulder, only sweet and friendly thoughts came to my mind.