🍁 Chapter 32

In the future, I would look back on the spring of our 15th year as cruel.

Once the incident with Julien was settled, another incident happened in the Duke’s house. There was never a peaceful day.

“Milady, milady! Wake up.”

I was taking a nice, long nap when a hand shook me awake. I opened my eyes.

“Why… What is it…” 

Putting aside my inability to sleep at night, I had many worries that only continued to grow.

For example, how should I approach Freya and stop her from making a connection with Julien?

The best way for our kids, Carol and Julien, to reach a happy ending is for Freya to succeed on her own.

To do that, she needed to be seasoned a little first.

My head was saturated with these worries. It was my first time having to deal with this sort of thing.

I had been reading a book at my reserved seat in the study, then under the warm sunlight that fell directly over me, I fell asleep. In that moment, though, there was a voice.

"Lady Sharon! You need to wake up! Something bad has happened!”

“What in the world… Madame DeJoue…” 

Madame DeJoue’s face was deadly pale, so it was something really out of the normal.

"What is it…? Tell me…” 

In the end, I had to wake up. At my question, Madame DeJoue gave up her usual composure and began to scream.

“We really don’t have time for this… Please save Lady Carol!”

"Carol? What are you talking about? Tell me exactly what happened!”

Hearing Carol’s name snapped me right to attention. Were there any incidents around this time in the novel?

No, there wasn’t.

These days were supposed to go smoothly, without incident, since there was no description in the novel.

But what… 

Of course, I couldn’t be sure that everything was peaceful. As with Julien’s case a little while ago, there could be things that I don’t know.

Madame DeJoue spoke faster than usual.

“At about 10 o’clock, Lady Carol summoned the maids to tell them she had lost her bracelet. One of the maids confessed that she accidentally thrown it away, but she said she thought the string bracelet was just trash. So Lady Carol became angry that the maid dared to throw away her mistress’s belongings…” 

"So? What’s the problem? Carol is reasonable and kind, so it shouldn’t be too troublesome.”

“That’s not the problem! The Duchess had been, all morning… Well…” 

"What. She’s cheating? Did her lover stay at the house overnight?”

“Milady, you knew that?”

My eyes twitched at Madame DeJoue’s astonishment.

That wasn’t important now.

"Haaa… Please be careful with what you say. But anyway, the Duchess was still drunk and witnessed the incident. But you know how the Duchess is… You know how she usually acts.”

"Yes. She’s nasty.”

“…Haa. So, the Duchess whipped the maid in front of Lady Carol. She said that it was because Carol was so stupid that her servants don’t know how to behave, so she should watch and learn.”