🍁 Chapter 25

It was like asking about the difference between a coffee-colored shade and a brown shade.

I heard Madame DeJoue sighing again at my speaking habit.

“Lady Sharon. Speak more properly, please.”

“Yes, Madame DeJoue.”

"Don’t just do so while you answer. You have to set an example with consistent words and actions.”

“Yes, Madame DeJoue.”

Madame DeJoue touched her palm to her head with a tired face.

Hmph. I thought I should at least try to be more lady-like when I answered her. 

The old saying was wrong. There was an adage that said that you can go halfway if you at least speak well, but Madame DeJoue’s evaluation of me didn’t even reach a quarter-way, let alone half.

“I think what you said is right. All right, I’ll choose this dress! But Sharon, what are you going to wear?”

With a face like mine, anything looked pretty on me. It wasn’t for nothing that the author recognized it as the greatest beauty in the world.

So I didn’t need to bother.

Thinking that, I smiled broadly.

"I’ll wear whatever."

At those words, Carol’s face seemed taken aback.

I guess she misinterpreted the meaning of my smile.

I suddenly felt a little uneasy…

"Does you think that makes any sense?"

"Why not?” 

“Ugh, really. I should have known since you were just sitting still. Okay, now let’s go pick your dress.”

No, but I said that I was fine.

“One week from now, at my birthday party, you have to be perfect! So let’s choose a dress.”

As a former villainess, Carol was as persistent as rust on iron.

I lost the motivation to refuse.

“Go ahead…”

“Are you going to keep talking like it’s annoying?”

Carol pouted, and her eyes shined.

I could guarantee that was the face of evil thoughts.

And she claims that Julien is the evil one.  She should mind her own business.

“Then, how about that one?”

The dress that Carol pointed to was a minidress with the knees clearly exposed.

“…I can’t because I’ll be cold.”

“What?”

“My knees will be cold, since I’m a little old… Please respect my age.”

“You’re fourteen!"

She was still young, so she didn’t know the pains of a 35-year-old. Carol dragged me by the hand and I was forced to wear the minidress.

“Oh, it’s a little excessive for a modest lady. This will be more suitable for picnics.” 

Madame DeJoue’s strictness sometimes came in useful. I patted down my chest and changed into the dress that Madame DeJoue chose.

“Sharon! After that, try this one on, and this one too! Okay?"

I stared past the parted curtains.