🍁 Chapter 31

“Nothing happened, Carol.”

“Really?“

“…No. But it isn’t something that you have to worry about.”

I couldn’t tell Carol the truth. Carol was kind, and her empathy might hurt her as much as Julien was hurting now.

"All right. I guess you’ll be troubled if I keep asking.”

“…Yeah.”

At my response, Carol nodded bravely and smiled at me.

“I want to look at that shoe there, too!”

"Okay. Choose everything that you like! I’ll look them over.”

As Carol bounced away, Madame DeJoue came to my side.

“The crown prince said that he’d be going to the mountain cabin.”

“Is that so?”

I nodded slightly to myself. I kept worrying about what Julien was thinking right now.

I felt grateful that I would be able to see him today.

“Please ensure that Carol will never find out about this incident. If it’s that child, she’ll feel hurt, too.”

“…Lady Sharon, are you feeling all right?”

“Excuse me?”

I widened my eyes. I hadn’t considered this question before.

“You care greatly for the crown prince as well. You must be upset, and your heart might be in pain as well. That’s why I ask if you’re all right,” Madame DeJoue said cautiously.

"Ah… I’m all right.”

Madame DeJoue shook her head side-to-side as if she had expected my answer.

"I worry… that you’re taking on too much onto your shoulders. If it’s ever difficult, please let me know. I may not be good at it, but I will try my best to comfort you.”

Without thinking about it, I burst into laughter.

It was because Madame DeJoue looked so severe when she said that she might not be good at something.

“Pfft. Thank you.”

Her sincerity warmed my heart. I was loved so much.

I was truly grateful.

***

Today was too long. The time until I would meet Julien was passing by too slowly.

Madame DeJoue opened the cabin door for me as I hopped off of the carriage.

“Are you not entering?”

I had stopped in front of the door. Madame DeJoue gently pushed my back.

“…What if Julien is hurt a lot? Will I be able to comfort him? What if I’m too nosy?”

It was the first time something like this had happened, so I was troubled. I didn’t know what to say to make him feel better.

“Seeing your bright smile will be enough.”

“…Will it?”

I was a little relieved by Madame DeJoue’s words. I stepped forward across the threshold, where an orange light shone overhead. Then, by the window, I saw the back of the crown prince.

“Julien…”

Without realizing what I was doing, I started running toward Julien’s back. Like a young child hanging off their mother, I hugged Julien tightly.