45. Love Persevering

The metal door that led to Wanda's next memory creaked

The metal door that led to Wanda's next memory creaked. The Hydra symbol stared at Mary as if it was taunting her. That the woman could do nothing about it. Mary was frozen in anger and fear while Wanda was terrified.

"I don't wanna go back there." Wanda whispers to Agatha, gripping onto Mary's hand as they stood in the snow outside Howard's mansion.

"I know you don't, but it's good medicine, angel. The only way forward is back." Agatha says to both women, but mostly Wanda. The heavy Hydra door opened slowly with an electronic beep and it swung open wide.

Wanda and Mary both breathed out shakily as they gripped each other's hands. Wanda led the way with Mary following closely behind as they entered the Hydra experimentation room. Inside the chamber lied Loki's scepter that held the Mind Stone. Mary's eyes were wide as she looked at the room, separated by a glass wall and door for the two Hydra scientists.

Agatha looked around the room and placed her hands in her pockets, "Al, Wanda. The rebellious years." Agatha teased. "Quick question, your reaction to the bombing of your civilian apartment building and the murder of your parents was to join and anti-freedom terrorist organization."

"Nazis." Mary snaps. "Just call them what they are." She says as she looks over at Agatha.

"We wanted to change the world." Wanda responds to Agatha as she squeezes Mary's hand to comfort her. Wanda then walks towards the chamber that held the scepter.

"Don't be scared. You already lived it once." Agatha says to Wanda as she disappears and reappears behind the glass on the walkway that led to the scepter. Mary knew Wanda and Pietro had been exposed to the scepter, that was what the twins had told everyone.

But what if there was something more to it? Something the twins didn't know.

Wanda walked through the opened door, her skin was clammy and pale. Her hair was dark brown and dirty. Her clothes were an old medical gown. It broke Mary's heart to see her friend in that shape. But Mary also knew that that was what Hydra did to the people that went to them looking for something better. Hydra only bettered it's cause, and always at the extent of others.

The door behind Wanda slid shut slowly and Wanda turned back around to face the wall of glass that reflected back to her. "For our notes, Miss Maximoff, can you please state your name and confirm your status?" The scientist said over the loudspeaker.

Wanda's eyes travelled to the scepter and then back to the two way mirror. "Wanda Maximoff. Volunteer." She says hoarsely, as if she had either been screaming or not spoken in days.

"Begin experimentation." The other scientist tells Wanda and then turns to the head doctor. "Doctor, with respect, not one subject has survived direct-" the doctor turns off the speaker.

The doctor then turns it back on and looks at Wanda, "Touch the sample." He tells her.

Wanda nervously looks at the scepter. Mary had to admit that it was intimidating to look at in this setting. She saw it back in 2012, it had stabbed her stomach while killing Coulson. Mary had personal history with Loki's scepter.