12. Tony, we lost..

September 28thNineteen days after Thanos

September 28th
Nineteen days after Thanos.

Steve pulled up on his motorcycle with Mary holding onto his tightly to the Sanctum where Stephen now resided along with Evelyn. She was their first priority before anything else in this moment. The need to make sure Stephen and Evelyn were alright weighed heavy on Mary's heart. They were sort of her foster children she had taken in and mentored. Evelyn was a sister to Mary in more ways than one and Stephen felt like a son to her. He even would call her mother when it was only the two of them alone.

But for Steve? Evelyn was his world outside of Mary and their family. She was his sanctuary from the harsh realities of the world and all those that wanted him imprisoned. He loved the Erskine woman more than he could fathom.

And he wanted to marry her.

"She'll be here, Steve. Evelyn's family has lasted through so much." Mary says, reminding her brother about Abraham and their life in Austria and then the Nazis. The Erskine bloodline laid solely on Evelyn's shoulders and it was a burden Steve wanted to help carry. He had felt that burden for a long time, being the only Super Soldier created from Abraham. Steve felt immense weight to carry that legacy, but Evelyn showed up seemingly out of nowhere and the two felt the connection of a shared experience. Steve never would find anyone else like Evelyn. His beloved Austrian.

Her proud Austrian roots would always soothe him in his worst fears and nightmares. He would often wake up to Evelyn singing to him to calm him down. A favorite of hers was Edelweiss and it seemed to soothe his nerves and fears. She would sit in their shared bed and would hold him as he cried over everything he had lost during his time in the ice. His friends who had passed on thinking he was dead, his sister being alone for so many decades. His duty to his country. It all was poured out to Evelyn and she accepted the Captain with open arms.

Steve showed Evelyn a side not even his sister saw.

And to think she was gone because he couldn't stop Thanos. He couldn't bear the thought and anguish.

"She has to be." He whispers back to his sister as they rush up the steps to the sanctum and an asian man opens the double wide doors.

"Who are you?" The man asks harshly and Mary forces a smile onto her face as she steps in front of her brother.

"I'm Mary Rogers-Barnes, Stephen's mentor." Mary states, "And this is my brother, Steve."

The asian man's eyes widened and he stepped backwards. "Stephen spoke highly of you, Doctor Barnes. I'm Wong." He states and Mary hesitates, glancing at her brother before the two siblings enter the Sanctum.

"He spoke of me? He never once mentioned this place to me when we would talk after his accident." Mary mutters, "He was in such a dark place then." She adds and then tears footsteps at the top of the huge staircase. The brunette haired girl with big brown eyes that Steve had fallen in love with stood atop of the staircase with tears in her eyes as her hand covered her mouth.