49. A Little Calm

Mary laid beside her husband as she felt the bed raise on Bucky's side

Mary laid beside her husband as she felt the bed raise on Bucky's side. "James..." She whispers through her sleepy state. She was used to Bucky sleeping beside her again after so long of being apart, and then Westview happened and they had one night to themselves thanks to Wanda.

They had moved back into Mary's Brooklyn apartment she had under her name since before Steve had come out of the ice. Winnie and Becca shared a room in the apartment but they would be leaving for Queens in a few days. Bucky and Mary had been going to his therapy for two months now and Bucky was stubborn about what he would open up about, even with Mary present. She knew the moment she saw the therapist that Bucky would put up a fight and not talk unless he was forced to.

"Shh, Luna.." Bucky says to his wife, pushing her short hair from her face and kissing her forehead. He grabs a blanket from the basket and his pillow. He lays it on the floor below his wife as she sleeps on the bed. Since moving back to the states, Bucky had taken up the habit of wearing his dog tags again. He had Mary's tags though she didn't know it as well. One of his and hers around his neck. "Go back to sleep." He whispers to her as his vibranium hand rubs circles on her back. Mary sighs softly and then turns around on the bed. Bucky knows she's gone back to sleep as he hears her breathing deepen and even out. Bucky lays down on the floor with his arm behind his head and he hesitantly closes his eyes.

Mary awakes abruptly to the sounds of her husband yelling out and screaming. "James?" She questions as she looks over to his side of the bed and then looks down at the floor beside her side of the bed and sees him thrashing on the floor. "James!" She shouts as she scrambles off the bed and rushes to her husband on the floor. She can feel the turmoil and pain in his soul, the torture of whatever his nightmare is.

Bucky snaps his eyes open and he sits upright instantly. Sweat is pouring off of him as he looks around to know he's safe. He then feels his wife's hands on his shoulders and his blue eyes find her amber eyes, glowing softly. He was breathing heavily as Mary simply watched her husband sort out his mind and thoughts. "I-"

"Shh." Mary whispers as she looks him over, "You had a nightmare." She tells him and Bucky shakes his head.

"No.." He tells her and Mary hesitates, tilting her head slightly in confusion, "I had a memory."

"Wh- oh.." Mary mutters as her mind puts it together, "You haven't had one in years.." She reminds him. Mary was so sure Bucky's past was behind him. That when the trigger words were taken from his mind, that his past as the Winter Soldier was done. But the therapy, the parden. Being back in the states brought back memories for all of them. They were back in reality, the real world. Their home of Wakanda was a sanctuary, an escape for them and they had been escaping for too long it seemed.

"They've been coming back slowly." Bucky says softly and then he and Mary hear footsteps enter their bedroom.

"Papa?"