08. Get This Man A Shield

"Mary? The students have been watching the news all day

"Mary? The students have been watching the news all day. Are you a part of what's going on?" Hank's voice comes through the phone as Mary looks around at what's unfolding before her eyes. Kingsgaurd and Border Tribe working together with Sam and Pietro, Rhodey as well as they stand outside.

"I wish i wasn't, but yes." Mary replies. "I wish i was calling under different circumstances, Hank, i miss you and the others." She says with a sad smile appearing on her face as she reminisces about her time when she stayed at the mansion.

Hank chuckles on the other end, "We miss you too. Logan doesn't show it but he misses you as well."

"Really? The Wolverine misses me? I'm stunned." Mary teases and Hank barks out a laugh on his end. She had missed her friends up in Westchester. So much happened when she left the care of Charles and the others. The Vietnam War had crippled Charles mentally and she hated watching her friend suffer like he did.

"Some of the students and now teachers ask about you from time to time but Charles talks about you as if you're no longer with us. That's what you want right?" Hank asks and Mary can hear him walking towards where she assumes the Professor is located within the mansion.

"That used to be the case, yeah. But two and a half years ago i came out to the governments and world that i was still alive. I've been living in Wakanda since then with my husband and our son." Mary tells Hank her story as quickly as she could. They had missed so much of each other's lives, they needed to catch up but now was not the time sadly and both of them knew that.

"I would love to ask you about your family but you asked for the Professor and i found him." Hank tells her and she can hear shuffling over the phone until a British voice appears over the phone and it instantly calms the mother down.

"Mary." The professor breathes out.

"Charles." Mary whispers.

"It's been too long. I wish this call was under better circumstances." Professor Xavior says. Mary and Charles had been close friends since 1965. She had come to him in Westchester out of curiosity for the Mutant X gene and how it worked. Charles was more than happy to explain it all to Mary but he realized then that she was suffering deeply. The pain and loss was killing her and he knew that if she didn't receive the help she needed then she would lose the core of who she was as a person.

Charles knew Mary as if she was his younger sister. He knew things about her pain and struggles that no one else aside from her brother and husband probably knew about. His gift of telepathy aided him in that. Feeling what she felt in those moments of crippling depression after the kidnapping of her daughter. The shattering heartbreak when she awoke to realize her brother wasn't coming home and she was left all alone.

They were connected in a way that was very rare for a telepath to do.

But Charles Xavior was no ordinary telepath.