25. You Can Rest Now

When Tony opens his eyes after snapping his fingers, he's not anywhere he's seen before

When Tony opens his eyes after snapping his fingers, he's not anywhere he's seen before. Sort of. Except everything was orange, and he was standing on water as he looked himself over, he wasn't wearing his armor anymore. Instead, he was in his normal clothes. He checked his left hand to make sure his wedding band was still on his finger and then he finally looked around at his surroundings. Certain things were familiar, and it took him a second to remember where he knew this place from.

He was in Mary's bedroom at the mansion when he was a boy.

The room he sought refuge from when he fought with his dad, or was ignored, or was ever neglected or just simply wanted love from his Mama Ree. Her bedroom was his sanctuary. Where she would tell him stories of her past, her adventures and troubles she would get into with her brother and husband when they were kids.

He was where he most felt at home. And home to him was where Mary was.

"Anthony." A female voice calls from behind and Tony jumps, thinking he was alone in this strange place.

He slowly turns his head around and his eyes widen as tears build and fall down his cheeks. Staring at him was his mother. His mom who was there for him for every wound, every heartache, every principal visit. She was there for his entire life.

"Y- You're here?" Tony stammers as he pulls his mother into his arms tightly. "How are you here? Where are we?" He asks questions and Mary smiles softly as she holds her son.

"One question at a time, T." Mary reminds her son and he sheepishly smiles, "Here is what you want it to be. And I'm here because you wanted me to be." She tells him and his eyes well with tears as he now knows this isn't real.

"So you're not actually here." Tony asks hesitantly. "Did.. Did the stones work? Did we stop him?" He asks, knowing this Mary of his imagination would have the answers.

Mary nods, "It worked, thanks to you and Steve working together." She tells him, this would've never happened if the two men hadn't put aside their differences to fix the universe.

"We did it for you." Tony points out. "You needed something to be hopeful for." Mary nods and then looks at her son but he pauses and then pulls away from his mother, beginning to pace. "And I'm afraid i made a mistake." He tells her.

"Why?" Mary asks softly, pressing her hand to his cheek to calm him down. "What makes you think that?"

"Because i'll never get to see Morgan grow up. I'll never get to mentor Peter like i wanted to. I'll never watch Reebs become the woman she was destined to be." Tony rambles to his mother, "I'll never get to grow old with Pepper. I'll never see Jamie again." He tells his mom, "I didn't want to leave any of them. But i had to."

Mary sighs with a small smile, which confuses Tony but he continues to watch his mother as she grabs onto his hands. "Who said you couldn't see all of that happen?" She asks.