22. It Can't Be Undone

The team stood on the dock of the lake the compound was built by

The team stood on the dock of the lake the compound was built by. No one said a word for the first two hours of them all standing there because it was just too hard to speak. Too hard to wrap their minds around the fact that Mary was truly gone. Because that was a reality none of them wanted to live in.

Steve couldn't stop crying and no one expected him to. He had lost his sister, the woman who had been by his side throughout her entire life. She joined the Army because he did, to keep him safe and to help others in need. His mind kept replaying the last months they had together. How he was absent in her greatest time of need. He regretted it to his very core. And he would never be able to tell her how grateful he was for her. Steve realized he had taken Mary for granted, her inability to age made him think he would always have her around, always present in his life. His mind never thought of the possibility that she would ever leave him, ever actually die.

She had come close a few times in her life, but never truly passed. In the Vietnam War she suffered a bad leg injury that got infected overseas, it would take her skills along with other doctors on the field to help her recover. Her birthday in 2001 was also a close call for Mary. She had jumped into action, trying to help where she could, who she could. The smoke she had inhaled from the fallen Twin Towers had damaged her lungs for a few years and caused her to become sick on and off for a while after the attack. And then in 2012 when Loki had stabbed her and Coulson, putting her in the hospital and killing Coulson.

But this time? This time death actually took Mary from them. From her family.

How was Steve going to break it to Evelyn? To Esme? Esme loved her aunt and Mary loved her niece. Steve didn't even want to think about any of that until the mission was complete. Because in the back of his mind, he still thought it was possible to bring her back. To bring his beloved sister back.

"It's my fault." Steve said, breaking the silence among the team. The team Mary put together with Fury long ago.

"Steve-" Natasha mutters, but the Captain shakes his head.

"I should've put her on a different team, she should've gone with Bruce to get the Time Stone. That would've been better for her." Steve rambles, he couldn't compose himself and no one wanted him to because he deserved to grieve properly.

"She would've fought you tooth and nail." Tony speaks up. "All of you know that. Mom is- she was... so stubborn." He mutters as tears fall from his eyes as he remembers all the times Mary had stuck up for her godson when Howard was harsh, or when Tony's parents were absent, Mary was there.

"What?" Thor mutters in question and the team glances up at him as the thunder god walks over to Tony. "What are you doing?"

"What's it look like?" Tony responds but Thor isn't having it.

"Yeah, no, you're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead?" Thor rambles in disbelief, he truly was in denial that Mary was gone. One of his first friends he made on Earth so long ago in New Mexico, the impact she had on him was astounding to the god of thunder. The bond that formed between the two was unbreakable despite the long distance. "We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones... Cap, we can bring her back. Isn't that right?" Thor questions and Steve drops his head. As much as the mourning brother wanted to admit, having the stones was something he thought of in terms of bringing his sister back. "So, stop this shi-. We're the Avengers. Get it together." Thor snaps.