01 : a look of mercy

" A LOOK OF MERCY "

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

On the verge of tears, holding a book in her hand, the tears that threatened to fall got interrupted by a knock on her room door. Nam Jiseol took a sharp breath before a tall lad with strawberry blond hair came in. She never liked it when someone sees her cry; it made her feel weak and vulnerable.

The man laughs once he realizes what she has been doing during this fine, cool night in the Kingdom of Twilight. "Tomorrow's the treaty and you're reading?" Jeong Yunho, a beloved friend Jiseol grew up with, questioned.

"Yeah! A good way to relax before possible bloodshed."

"Hey! Don't say that! You might jinx it," Yunho scolds as he sits on the edge of her bed.

"What are you guys talking about?" A man with fiery, red hair named Song Mingi along with a brunette named Jung Wooyoung walked in the room.

"We were just talking about tomorrow, you know, the treaty. I'm excited honestly, we don't have to constantly watch our backs in case a spy from the other kingdom somehow got here and is watching us." Yunho almost shuddered at the thought.

"That's true. I mean the reason for this treaty is ridiculous in the first place. Why would you want to steal someone's child? How sick of you to do so,"

"I know! All because of power."

It has been 120 years since the infamous incident the Kingdom of Twilight underwent. Aurora Kingdom is the kingdom right across theirs and they were known to be their greatest allies. Not until the 3rd king of Aurora decided to do something unforgivable. Since then, the two kingdoms experienced years of non-stop war, just until recently when the latest successors of both kingdoms decided to put it at rest. They were never fully at peace, people just simply got tired and forgot about it.

But the day they never thought would happen finally came; both kingdoms eventually made a decision to put the war at peace. And so that is what is happening tomorrow at dawn. The royal families of both kingdoms; the Lees of Twilight and the Kangs of Aurora are gathering to meet up at the border to sign an official document for the war to finally be put to an end. They agreed to one rule; Do not cross the border that divides both kingdoms.

The reason for everything was oh-so reasonable though; even the noblemen and commoners of Aurora Kingdom had to agree, but no one needs to know that. The 3rd king of Aurora Kingdom stole the crowned prince of the Kingdom of Twilight all because when he was to be crowned, he would become a more high-powered, loved and bountiful king than Aurora Kingdom's own. And so just like that, their allies broke, sending both lands to war.