05 : ancient past

" ANCIENT PAST "

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

The heat of the sun radiated as the four sweat their bottoms off, working hard as they trained. It has been a while since they had proper training and so that was what they decided to do on this not-so-lovely scorching day.

"Jiseol! Can you teach me your techniques again? I can't seem to shoot in the middle." Yunho sulked, close to throwing a tantrum after so many failed attempts of shooting in the middle of the target using the bow and arrow.

"Goodness, wait for a while, I'm still reteaching these two idiots how to properly slit someone's throat. This is why I told you to recall and practice important techniques often! Your skills will get rusty." Jiseol scolds as she rolled her eyes, not noticing a fifth person a few meters away from them.

The person laughs, making their presence known.

The four hastily drop their weapons upon hearing the voice before facing the person, the princess, bowing before her.

"I see you four are getting better at your skills day-by-day." Princess Sewon teases as she looked at all of them individually, eyes lingering a second or two longer on Yunho than the other three. They bowed once again as they uttered small thank yous.

"I'm just kidding, let's drop the formalities. We grew up together anyway. I came here to invite you four to tonight's dinner, my parents wanted to thank you for your journey to the Kingdom of Wonderland to get herbal medicine for my mother. Thanks to the four of you, she is much better now and can continue serving Twilight."

Yunho and Jiseol walked — almost skipping —side-by-side, making their way to the Jeong's hearty home. They have been rewarded to have a week off and visit their families since anyway they did not have any schedules. Wooyoung and Mingi went their own separate ways to their own houses but since Jiseol did not have one, she stays with the Jeongs when they get breaks like this.

The unfortunate girl she has always been, her parents were put to death when she was 18 and her one and only sibling and sister was no where to be found. But thanks to Yunho and the rest of the Jeongs, she still had somewhere to go. They treated her as their own family; as their own child and sibling.

When they arrived, Yunho's mom was almost more excited to see her than her own son. Mr. Jeong was setting the table for a meal for when they arrive and Gunho, Yunho's younger brother, almost tackled Jiseol to the floor.

"Hi, Gunho! I missed you too," Jiseol hugged him back. "Go say hi to your brother."

Soon, the Jeongs and Jiseol were eating supper. A light smile painted her face as she downed the porridge. Mrs. Jeong's porridge is her most favorite thing in the world next to archery. It is the same porridge Yunho recreates up in the palace at certain times, that's why she loves it so much.