Truth and Lies

A/N: SPOILER WARNING! May contain A Choice with No Regrets OVA spoilers

           "That's the new recruit?" You asked with disbelief as you observed the frail looking guy from across the dining hall. "Him? That's the guy you went all the way to the underground to recruit?" You turned to face Erwin with an incredulous expression on your face. "He looks...fragile."

            Miche chuckled across from you as he bit into a piece of bread. You felt a hand on your head, tousling your hair as Erwin chuckled as well. "It took both Miche and I to subdue him. He's anything but fragile." He replied. "We barely managed to stop him. If we hadn't taken his friends hostage we would still be in the underground." Miche added with a grimace.

            You raised your brows in surprise. "The both of you? Amazing." Watching as the guy smacked the head of the person beside him. "I assume those two are his friends that you mentioned?" You asked, nodding your head towards the kids sitting beside the new guy. "They're young."

            "They're around the same age as you, Y/N." Miche said with a teasing grin. "Just because you hang around us adults doesn't make you older." He teased as he swiftly avoided the peanut you threw at his face.  "Why did you call for me then?" You asked with a frown.

            Erwin, who was once your squad captain, now your Commander, watched the three new recruits across the hall. "You're going to be in charge of watching them." He explained with a serious expression on his usually kind face. "Get them to trust you. And report anything suspicious to me." He continued as you observed your commander with a frown.

            "Why me? Wouldn't their squad captain be a better choice?" You asked, suspecting that there is something more behind the request. Erwin turned his head towards you, a gentle smile on his face. "They'll trust someone with the same history as them." He replied, pertaining to your past as thief. You winced. "I'm already paying my due by joining the scouts." You murmured.

            Miche laughed out loud at your sulking expression. "We know, kid. You're doing great." He said with a wide grin. "You don't have to worry too much. Just keep an eye on them and report if they move suspiciously." He added with a mischievous glint in his eyes. You frowned. "They're not just simple recruits, are they?" You asked.

            "No." Erwin replied beside you. "But if things work out, they would be a great addition to the scouts. Especially him." He continued, referring to the dark-haired recruit who was staring right back at your group. "You have to be wary of him, Y/N." Your eyes met the intense gaze of the recruit. "You have to be careful when you're with him."

            You frowned as the guy smirked at you before breaking eye contact. As if he was mocking you. "What's his name?" You asked through gritted teeth. Already disliking the guy. "Levi Ackerman. King of thugs." You hear a voice announce behind you. Hange sat down beside you with a thump. Grease and dirt on their face from an experiment gone wrong.

            "King of thugs? He calls himself that?" You asked, handing Hange a towel to clean their face. They shook their head. "No. But the people in the Underground do. He has quite a reputation." Hange explained while piling food on their plate as well as Moblit's.

            You rested your chin on your hand as you turned back to observe the recruits. "So I've heard." You muttered under your breath, still pissed at how Levi smirked at you tauntingly. "I have a reputation too." Miche choked on the water he was drinking at your statement as Erwin laughed at him. Hange hugged you consolingly while patting your head. "Y/N is our favorite thug of all. No one can take your place." They said as Moblit tried to pull them away from you, noticing how your frown deepened.

            You stood up with sigh. "Well then, time to meet my new friends." You said with a well-practiced fake smile. "Commander, Captain, and Section Commander, I'll take my leave now." You saluted them before leaving the table to approach the three new recruits.

            Reaching their table, you stood up straight as you gave them the same smile. "I'm Y/N. I'll be in charge of showing you guys around." You introduced yourself with ease. Years of experience from scamming people in the streets helped you. "I was informed you already know where your quarters are. I assume you're Isabel?" You asked turning to face the only girl in the group.

            She quickly nodded, standing up to give an awkward salute. "Isabel Magnolia, Miss Y/N!" She introduced herself with energy. You smiled kindly, liking the honest demeanor of the girl. "You don't have to salute me, I'm a cadet as well. And I'm around the same age as yours so no need to call me miss." You gently said. "You'll be sharing the room with me. I'll see you later." You said, turning to the other two.

            "I'll see you at the training grounds tomorrow. Wear the uniforms prepared for you at your quarters. Don't be late." You informed, changing your kind demeanor to one with authority. You turned and walked away, the sensation of someone staring at you from behind making you uncomfortable.

            Commander was right. I am the perfect person for the job. You thought to yourself. Enjoying the feeling of excitement coursing through you. You knew exactly how to deal with these kinds of people because they used to be them. Your smile faded into a frown as you remembered the look in Levi's eyes as he watched you while you talked, like he can see through the lies coming out your mouth.

            We'll see. You smirked, preparing yourself for bed.

A/N: We're back at it again besties!

CTTO of the fan art. ♥️