Debts and Dues

A/N: Hello besties! I'm back! For those who didn't know and were waiting for updates, I was sick and had to take a break

A/N: Hello besties! I'm back! For those who didn't know and were waiting for updates, I was sick and had to take a break. But I'm all better now and pumped up with vitamins and cold medications! Dw, its not Covid. ♥️ And now, here is chapter 37! Enjoy.

            In a dimly lit inn, Lucas was roughly thrown on the floor by a furious Kenny. "Why... why did you bring her there?! I told you to keep her safe!" He yelled as Lucas spat out blood. "You motherfucker. You damned bastard." Kenny growled as he lunged towards Lucas once again.

            Caven barely managed to pull him back. "Stop. We still need him for the plan." She muttered as Kenny glared furiously at the beaten-up Lucas. He shoved Caven's grip on his arms as he spat on Lucas' shoe. "Get the fuck out of here before I really kill ya."

            Kenny trudged up the stairs of the inn, brewing in rage and self-hatred. Broke every promise I ever fucking made. He thought to himself, opening the door to his room and slamming it close behind him. Kenny plopped his body down on the mattress, covering his eyes with his hands as he heaved a deep sigh.

            "I couldn't even protect a single girl." He muttered lowly. "I couldn't protect my nephew." An image of Kuchel and a young Levi flashed in his head. "I couldn't protect you." He murmured in regret as Uri's smile before he died occupied his head.

            "What do I do now, Uri? I don't think I'll be able to fulfill my promise." Kenny softly murmured, a defeated smile on his lips. "If you were here, you'd know what to do. You always knew what to do." A small chuckle escaped him as he recalled Uri's haughty tone every time he asks for Uri for help. "Just... tell me what to do, Uri."

            A knock was heard as Kenny grunted permission for the person to enter. Caven popped her blonde head in, peeking at Kenny's disgruntled figure on the bed. "I told you Lucas is going to be trouble in the long run. The boy is a fucking menace, a spoiled brat." She said, leaning against the doorway of Kenny's bedroom.

            Kenny took off the arm that was covering his face. "Yes, well, he's a kid who is also involved in this entire fucking mess." He replied as he sat up, leaning his back against the headrest of the bed. Caven stared at her boss with unease. "And how, pray tell, is the brat involved in the Ackerman curse? He's a Maybell." Caven asked with a frown.

            Kenny hesitated briefly before replying. "Lucas' father... got his mistress pregnant." He explained with a dull look in his eyes. "His father? You mean Commander Maybell of the Military Police?" Caven asked as Kenny nodded.

            "When he found out, he talked to his wife about bringing his mistress and child to the family. His wife was against it and so was the rest of the Maybell elders. But Harold, Lucas' father, was serious about taking responsibility for his mistress and unborn child." Kenny said as Caven took in every word with furrowed brows.