Cold

Animals have a mechanism for everything, almost adapt to anything. Fly south for warmth, evolve for colder temperatures. Could zombies ever do that?

(~'’'~)

Even though the fun had almost taken up the whole day, it was worth the experience. Dream had to give Patches some of the canned cat food as he figured that as much fun it was, perhaps they should find a place to stay.

“Guys! Sorry to break up the fun but we gotta get inside.” Dream said, putting on the cat backpack gently. Diane realized what she had to tell them or, more likely, show them. She got up from what was actually Tommy’s calf, the part of the leg beneath the knee, which she was using as a pillow and stood up. Almost shaking her head.

“We can keep going.” She said, almost trying to yell but sadly, could only get out as a scratchy regular voice.

“But the other zombies…?” Quackity said before she ran over to the building where Dream was by, Patches hissing at her through the glass. Tubbo, following closely behind.

She passed the alleyway she was looking for as Tubbo flinched as he fell back on the snow, immediately pulling out his pistol. Diane looked back and saw exactly what she was looking for.

The blue skinned corpse of their enemy. Still laying lifeless in the snow.

Tubbo, shaking as he almost pulled the trigger until Diane pushed it down. Shaking her head until the point of the gun reached the snow. It was when the others came and saw the threat that she couldn’t exactly do the same to the rest of the firearms.

“It’s dead! It’s dead.” She slightly yelled, causing them to slowly put down their guns. Some still skeptical, like Tommy.

Quackity was the guy to investigate first as he lifted its arm, seeing the blue skin on it.

“It obviously got hypothermia… they’re dead so they get colder faster?” He shrugged as he let go of the arm, letting it drop into the snow.

“I guess we could keep going but we still have to watch out for the other zombies, right?” Eret asked, turning to Diane as she nodded eagerly.

The sky got darker as they gathered whatever belongings had slipped from their possession. The snow had stopped sprinkling but the frost remained. Everybody’s jackets had been put on.

Diane’s shivering had stopped.

Smol time skip brought to you by Tommy walking beside Diane for the majority of the walk.

So it’s officially dark now and the cold was biting away at their skin, though it wasn’t enough for them to give up the amount of progress and time they were saving by walking at night.

Meanwhile, Tommy’s hands were freezing. Brought up to his mouth to blow softly on them, struggling to find warmth in the air without any sun.

But…

The unsuspecting girl beside just had her hands by her side, slightly moving by the footsteps.

Surely, Diane wouldn’t mind if they held hands perhaps? It was cold and it could easily be seen as platonic.

Which it was.

The worst that could happen was that she’d be weirded out, which didn’t sound like her, and Tommy would just complain about it being cold. Yeah, that was his plan. He decided to shoot his shot.

Already blushing before the action was done, he grabbed her hand but immediately let go. Looking at his hand and shaking it. Diane, turning to him, wondering what he was doing.